Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know what would be better, to keep my arrow short or to have it past my hand 2 inch's im not really worried about having it shorter

But do you think it will help accuracy a little bit cause a shorter arrow ?

·
The Impartial Archer
17,584 Posts
No arrow length has no impact on accuracy.

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
No arrow length has no impact on accuracy.
I don't agree because the arrow length relates to spine and will shoot differently depending on your bows poundage. You could shoot a 30" arrow but depending on the spine you may have to drop your poundage, or shoot a lighter weight tip to do so. If you don't want to drop your weight or shoot a lighter tip then you'll want to cut your arrow shorter to stiffen it up. A stiffer arrow is always better than a weaker arrow in my opinion.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Shame shaft and points, I would think a shorter arrow would increase spine and possibly help with accuracy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks

·
Broke and Happy
5,001 Posts
I believe my arrows are in the 27.5"ish range with my 29.5" draw.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,523 Posts
You may be able to shoot 27.5" or even a shorter arrow depending on your rest set up and broadhead. Make sure that when selecting the spine of your arrow you take into account the length or when selecting the length of your arrow you take into account the spine. For broadhead tipped arrows error on the stiff side for spine.

A very short arrow could be a "weaker" spine than a longer arrow.

I much prefer a stiffer arrow over a limper arrow.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't agree because the arrow length relates to spine and will shoot differently depending on your bows poundage. You could shoot a 30" arrow but depending on the spine you may have to drop your poundage, or shoot a lighter weight tip to do so. If you don't want to drop your weight or shoot a lighter tip then you'll want to cut your arrow shorter to stiffen it up. A stiffer arrow is always better than a weaker arrow in my opinion.
Cut it how you need to to make it the correct spine. If your slightly over spines leave it long, if on the weak side shorten it up. I am 29, and center of the riser is 28" Just starting new set up so can't tell you how it will work, but an over spine long arrow I tried last year on another bow failed miserably to stabilize broadheads. It was laser accurate with field points but miserable with 3 blade heads.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Shame shaft and points, I would think a shorter arrow would increase spine and possibly help with accuracy.
I would need more explanation on this i think. Wouldn't the longer arrow have more mass (higher KE) creating better accuracy out at further distances? a smaller arrow might give more "V" at point blank range, but out at 30 and 40 and 70 yards i am guessing longer arrow makes more sense for increased accuracy.

I'm sure there is an optimal arrow length to get the most velocity with the most amount of KE depending on the weight of the limbs.

Really i don't know... just adding food for thought here.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
Draw length has NOTHING to do with arrow length....cut your arrows so they are 1" to 1.5" in front of the rest(when prongs are up) and be done with it.....same if it is a biscuit ..... Ive got a 30" draw, my arrows are 28" .......... some cut even or in front of the riser...Ive never wanted or needed arrows that damn long....

·
Registered
421 Posts
Good rule of thumb,keep arrow length the same as draw length minimum..of course arrow weight should be factored in...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts