Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the question I have is about spline wt. for my arrows. I shoot a Hoyt Ultratec at 64 lbs, the draw length that I shoot is the D slot, which is 28.5" by Hoyt standards. I use a whisker bisquit sometimes and a Trophy taker shakey hunter at other times. I do not like for the broadhead to be behind my hand, so I have a tendency to size my arrows long, like the old method of add an inch in front of the bow. Long story made a little shorter, (maybe) I could probably shoot 27" or 27.5" and still not pull them back thru my rest, but for safety and the fact that 2 inches longer only adds 18-20 grains, is why I do this. Now the main question, If my support point of the arrow is say 27.5" or even 27", but I want to shoot 29.125", do I buy arrows splined for 27" or for 29"? Logically, I would think that the extra part of the arrow in front of the rest would be negligible and I would get the arrows splined for 27 inches and cut them off at 29-1/8". Thanks.

Robert

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
First of all in is SPINE not Spline.

But if you want to shoot arrows that are 29" then you need to order arrows that spine out for you at 29". You may not need an arrow that is that long but it is still there and it must be accounted for.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my mistake

Spine, not spline or splined. At least my verbage is legible, some guys unfortunately here on AT have not mastered the English vocabulary at all. Even the reply post I got had "in", which I assumed to be "it"

First of all in is SPINE not Spline

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
You can download a trial version of "Software for Archers" at www.pinwheelsoftware.com. Watch your arrow selection on the Trykon. It is a very effecient bow and the charts in some cases will show a weak arrow for it. Learn to use this program, it will keep you from making some costly mistakes.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I did some tinkering on OT2 with what limited info you gave, made some assumptions and came up with the following:
In terms of spine, with a 27" shaft your required optimal spine would be .4029. With a 29.13" shaft it would be .3750.

The difference would be like adding 50 grains (27") or reducing 50 grains (29.13") of point weight.

·
Registered
319 Posts
But if you want to shoot arrows that are 29" then you need to order arrows that spine out for you at 29". You may not need an arrow that is that long but it is still there and it must be accounted for.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
shafer44 said:
Ok, the question I have is about spline wt. for my arrows. I shoot a Hoyt Ultratec at 64 lbs, the draw length that I shoot is the D slot, which is 28.5" by Hoyt standards. I use a whisker bisquit sometimes and a Trophy taker shakey hunter at other times. I do not like for the broadhead to be behind my hand, so I have a tendency to size my arrows long, like the old method of add an inch in front of the bow. Long story made a little shorter, (maybe) I could probably shoot 27" or 27.5" and still not pull them back thru my rest, but for safety and the fact that 2 inches longer only adds 18-20 grains, is why I do this. Now the main question, If my support point of the arrow is say 27.5" or even 27", but I want to shoot 29.125", do I buy arrows splined for 27" or for 29"? Logically, I would think that the extra part of the arrow in front of the rest would be negligible and I would get the arrows splined for 27 inches and cut them off at 29-1/8". Thanks.

Robert
I just ran yah through TAP with FIND ME AN ARROW and show a spine in the .35 neighborhood to be about perfect. I plotted a .36 and a .34 for reference.

I used a 29" shaft and 125 grain point. An UltraTech with Cam 1/2 and XT2000 limbs.

There are a BAZZILION different arrows to choose from....

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
shafer44 said:
Spine, not spline or splined. At least my verbage is legible, some guys unfortunately here on AT have not mastered the English vocabulary at all. Even the reply post I got had "in", which I assumed to be "it"

First of all in is SPINE not Spline

Oh my god I made a typo and didn't catch .....heaven forbid. Trust me buddy I know the English language. So go ahead and get your arrows for 27" don't worry about the extra part of the arrow in front of the rest.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments and link to the OT2 program and all that. I ran thru the OT2 program and I came out with just what I am shooting now anyway, which is the 75/95 GT. Still, from an engineering standpoint, I do not agree with the overhang, so to speak, being an integral part of these calculations. To me it is kind of like a long time ago, believe me it was a long time ago, when I pole vaulted. The poles are made to bend at a certain length, and certain weight range and the manufacturers assume that you can run fast enough to do the rest. You would have lets say a 15 ft pole, that you usually would have your top hand about a foot from the top. Once you got your steps down, speed and all that (you would also move your top hand a little up or down until you kind of found the sweet spot), then really, you could cut off the rest of the pole and just grab it at the end. When you squeeze the trigger of a release, that stored up energy that the bow releases, momentarily is from the resting point to the nock, and I really do not see it being at the actual point end of the arrow. It is too bad that the programs do not allow you to put arrow rest distance from draw length, or things like that. I could be all wet, I don't know. I do know that I have paper tested with vanes and bare shaft and did not get an indication of too stiff or too flexible shafts. Thanks for the inputs

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
SHAFFER44, JUST SO YOU DON'T GET YOUR HEAD BIT OFF AGAIN

Brown Hornet said:
First of all in is SPINE not Spline.

spine refers to how much the arrow will bend when shot

spline refers to the area of the arrow where overlapping of materials occour.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks

Yes, I know. I mistakenly put my whole original question using "spline, splined, etc", but I meant spine. And thank you, but yes I did know that spine was basically stiffness of the shaft. My head is "mending" as I type though. I kind of stir the bucket though if given a chance, that was why I had my "knowledge of the English language reply" Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts