Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading another post about arrow lengths. I was wondering why one would not use the same arrow length and weight tip, as you would while hunting. Example: 28" draw... 28" arrow...:cool: 100 gr target tip and 100 gr broadhead. This is a question not a statement

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
After reading another post about arrow lengths. I was wondering why one would not use the same arrow length and weight tip, as you would while hunting. Example: 28" draw... 28" arrow...:cool: 100 gr target tip and 100 gr broadhead. This is a question not a statement
As long as the dynamic to static spine remains matched with either a broadhead or a field point installed you can do just that. Spine dynamics determines which tip can be used when and where.

Field points typically are used in target shooting applications and thus do not require as stiff an arrow static spine as a hunting arrow needs for shooting broadheads.

When selecting an arrow, you must take into account how you intend to use your bow(hunting, tournament or both) in order to select the appropriate spine.

If you are planning to use your bow for both tournament shooting and hunting, then select an arrow with a static spine that falls inbetween being weak for target shooting and stiff for hunting.

By using an archery software program to select arrows, you can avoid the confusion that arises from selecting arrow for a given setup.

One such program is Software for Archers from www.pinwheelsoftware.com

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
also when setting up aluminum arrows for indoor 20 yard spots we run the shafts longer and run heavier point weights to get the spine in a more useable range the spine of an aluminum shaft is more critical then with carbon shaft(i.e.)you can shoot a xxx that has a 150 spine with 125 grn.point weight and a length of 28"reasonably well take the same size 2712 aluminum shaft add the same 125grn.point and you will never be able to tune the 2712 unless you are shooting 90-100lb draw weight

1 - 3 of 3 Posts