Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New bow is on the way, I'm looking for new arrows in the meantime and had a question about how long my arrow should be. I'm at a 28.5" draw 67# pull. My archery shop suggested I have my arrows cut to 30.25" however, this seems a little longer than I remember for my older bow. Opinions/thoughts?

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I keep mine 1'' minimum in front of the rest at full draw for broadhead clearance. My personal preference! I have a 29" draw and cut my arrows at 28.25". Your type of rest will also make a difference depending on how far back or forward it sets on the shelf.

·
<--- Finally!!
2,513 Posts
That does seem quite excessive. I would draw the bow back with an arrow on it, mark the arrow at the front of the riser, then add 1 - 1 1/2 inch for the final length.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have a QAD HDX rest but I do not have the bow or rest with me right now as the bow is still on order. I had hoped that I could order some cut arrows while waiting for the bow that way when the bow came in and was all setup I could immediately start shooting. Guess I'll have to wait until I get the bow then order the arrows. Crap...

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I make sure the minimum length is long enough so a BH would never hit my hand. THEN I run the numbers in OT2 to see what it says for the length that gets me the optimum spine with my bow/DL/vanes (FFP-360)/insert (heavy)/weight on string/tip weight. Has worked for the last 4-5 arrows/bows. If you have arrows (not wanting to change spine) you can find the optimal lenght with them.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I will have a QAD HDX rest but I do not have the bow or rest with me right now as the bow is still on order. I had hoped that I could order some cut arrows while waiting for the bow that way when the bow came in and was all setup I could immediately start shooting. Guess I'll have to wait until I get the bow then order the arrows. Crap...
You could order your arrows uncut and get them cut when you have your bow setup or just purchase your arrows at the shop where you're getting your bow assuming it's a local shop.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have the QAD HDX on my PSE. I have a 29" draw and my arrows are cut to 28". My shop had me draw the bow back, and marked the arrow at the end of the riser. So I would wait until you get your bow in and put together before you get excited and go chop up some arrows. Hehe. Some may want the arrow inside the riser, and some may want them outside of the riser for various reasons. That will be up to you and your shop. I personally like my arrows right at the end of the riser.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Depends on what you like and how heavy you want your arrows...

As long as it's an inch in front of the rest, you should be good. Longer is fine.

·
Registered
9,001 Posts
I use a QAD HDX and my DL is 29", arrow length is 27.5", a good 1" in front of the arrow rest.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I guess I will wait until I get my bow to get arrows cut. I'm not sure what arrows to get, I have been shooting Maxima Hunter 350's for years but I'm not sure if I want to pay this much again for a dozen. I have looked into Beman ICS hunter pro arrows and other Maxima arrows (Reds, and Blue Streak) I want something with great tolerances which is difficult to find without paying $120+. Any more advice?

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I cut mine same as DL or .5 inch longer. I want my blade's in front of the riser and my finger's.

Gold Tip XT Hunter's are great for the price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have looked into Beman ICS hunter pro arrows ... which is difficult to find without paying $120+. Any more advice?
http://www.bowhunterssupplystore.com/beman-ics-bowhunter-half-dzn-w-xpv-vanes.html

This is my suggestion. They're quality arrows at a pretty low price per half-dozen.

IMHO since you don't have a precise idea of what you want in terms of arrow length, either buy these uncut and get them trimmed at a local shop (then you'll know your preferred length to buy a dozen high-quality arrows later) OR buy these in what would be an inch in front of your rest (approximately 28 or 27.5").

If you have a local shop available, buy uncut.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
http://www.bowhunterssupplystore.com/beman-ics-bowhunter-half-dzn-w-xpv-vanes.html

This is my suggestion. They're quality arrows at a pretty low price per half-dozen.

IMHO since you don't have a precise idea of what you want in terms of arrow length, either buy these uncut and get them trimmed at a local shop (then you'll know your preferred length to buy a dozen high-quality arrows later) OR buy these in what would be an inch in front of your rest (approximately 28 or 27.5").

If you have a local shop available, buy uncut.
I would never buy arrows somewhere else and then take them into my shop and ask them to cut them. That's just poor relationship building with your shop. Buy the arrows there and give them the sale.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Mine are cut to 26 inches

·
silent but deadly
1,195 Posts
Everyone is different. I have a personal issue with a razorblade under pressure hovering over my hand. I have a 28.5" draw as well and use a 29" arrow. This puts my broadhead just in front of the riser.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I'm 28.5" DL, my arrows are 27 3/4" carbon to carbon. They are 29 1/4 fully assembled, tip of BH to end of the nock

·
Registered
575 Posts
Inch in front of my rest
Yep, great starting point. an inch less than draw length is also more than enough for most drop aways including a qad . provided spine accommodates , I'm a 27" dl but cut my arrows to 24.75 nock throat to end of shaft. No issues , plenty of shaft hanging over my qad

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I used to cut my arrows so they sat inside the riser next to the rest....A few threads here & there about the results of exploding shafts and I changed my thought process. I switched to FMJ's and leave them outside my riser.....I also shoot recurve and have to set them up that way. I like knowing my big German Kinetics 125XL blade is not directly over the top of my hand.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts