Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my bow to a Mathews this year, as everyone knows it seems thier DL is about 1/2" short. So I am sitting currenlty at a 26.5" draw length according to the module. I have a QAD rest on it. My question is would I be fine trimming my arrows down to to 25.5"? I plan on shooting the IW 100gr solid heads this fall.

·
Registered
462 Posts
What spine and draw weight are you shooting? Is there any reason why you couldn’t cut it to 26.5 and have the fixed blade way out in front?

·
Registered
920 Posts
No.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I guess you could if the broadhead will clear the riser
I prefer my hunting arrows to be cut flush with the front of the riser
On a side note matthews normally tend to run long on draw length

·
Registered
6 Posts
It all depends on the draw weight, also I'm assuming it's a compound. As for arrow length relative to your draw length, you should be ok; I am 28in draw, and i have 28in arrows (with drop away)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shafts are a 340 and bow is maxed out with 70lb mods. I don’t need to trim I just seems I have a bit of arrow shaft in front on the riser. Part of me wants to leave it as I’m shooting fine as is. But the other part wants to shorten it up to gain some speed. Current arrow is 27 7/16” c to c and 27 11/16” carbon to throat of nock.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess you could if the broadhead will clear the riser
I prefer my hunting arrows to be cut flush with the front of the riser
On a side note matthews normally tend to run long on draw length
I normally shoot 27” draw length went to 26.5 because of the half inch Mathews bows are normally longer

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Shafts are a 340 and bow is maxed out with 70lb mods. I don’t need to trim I just seems I have a bit of arrow shaft in front on the riser. Part of me wants to leave it as I’m shooting fine as is. But the other part wants to shorten it up to gain some speed. Current arrow is 27 7/16” c to c and 27 11/16” carbon to throat of nock.

The speed gained by cutting an inch of the shaft in itself may give you about 3fps... Are you really going to see the difference? If it's shooting fine now, don't change it; don't try to fix what isn't broken.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Though I used to, I no longer trim my arrows. I'm afraid I'll mess up the arrow's spine.

·
Registered
51,099 Posts
MY rule of thumb at full draw broadhead or tip of the arrow in front of the riser!!!!!!
Depending on what bow I have my draw length is 26 to 26 1/2" draw. My arrows are always, always cut to 27".
Safety is always #1. Never want a broadheadd behind my hand. Crap happens.
Lastly what you would pick up in minscule speed for the shorter arrow isn't anything that will benefit the shot.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm a pretty inexperienced archer so this may be a novice question, but for me a slightly longer arrow sits on the rest better when I draw back. I do get a little bounce sometimes when the let-off takes over and with an arrow that has the field point just beyond the rest a bit, the arrow sometimes jumps off the rest. Last thing I want at an inopportune moment. I try to draw smoothly and evenly straight back, but I still get a little "jump" sometimes. With an extra inch or two in arrow length, that little "jump" never causes the arrow to leave the rest - I guess because of the bit of extra weight ahead of the arrow rest. Seem logical? Or just my bad technique?

·
Registered
Jim Beam Apple, Mathews, Jim Beam Apple
2,034 Posts
Well im opposite of everyone here i guess . My mathews is 28 draw and my arrows are cut 26.5 ctoc and i use QAD. Has been this way for over 10 years shooting montec g5 and now silverflames.

I think you would be just fine.

·
Registered
Mathews HalonX 70 Lbs 28.5 draw 670 grain gold tip single bevel Tuffheads
850 Posts
Mathews bows run about 1/2 inch long not short , as long as your arrow sets good in the rest dont be a nancy it will be fine, alot of guy get weird about arrows not being over the shelf

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mathews bows run about 1/2 inch long not short , as long as your arrow sets good in the rest dont be a nancy it will be fine, alot of guy get weird about arrows not being over the shelf
Correct, thats why I am now shooting a 26.5" draw length cause its a half in long. I had 27, which if long would be 27.5"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts