Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes i am shooting Beman ics 400s. My arrow length is 28 1/4. My draw length is 27 1/2 or 28. My wife asked why my arrow was past my rest by about 2 inchs. Should it be shorter also thinking of going to a heavier arrow for more KE. Just dont know what i should go to.
Reflex Rampage
DL 27.5-28
DW 60#
Beman ICS 400s with
2" blazers
100g magnus buzzcut 2-blade
Will be hunting mainly deer. Planning on hunting elk too..

·
Widewater Hunt Club
9,380 Posts
From what I remember on K/E heavier doesn't allways mean higher K/E. For instance, if you loose more speed than you gain in weight. I'm not sure of the ratio, but I think heavier is good if you can stay with a shaft of small dia.

·
Just Do It.....
30,188 Posts
It might be a good idea to keep the B/H in front of your hand.
I guess it depends on where your fingers are when you shoot, and what B/H you use.

marty

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
nice to keep the fingers cut free!

I guess it depends on where your fingers are when you shoot, and what B/H you use.

marty
for hunting rigs, keep the B/H past the fingers !

·
Registered
940 Posts
Shortening the arrow will change it's spine. On some set-ups it won't matter , some it will. I chopped 1" off 4 arrows to try and my groups opened up considerably with my set-up.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
22,621 Posts
Yep

Shortening the arrow will change it's spine.
most forget about this.... be careful, I have a 30" draw shoot a 28" arrow with fixed balde broadhead off of a limb driver rest - getting perfect bullet holes at 63 lbs, walk back test would be perfect if I was, and my groups at 50 yards are inside the 10 ring with a few in the 12:teeth: oh yeah all occurring at 305fps - not too bad.

best advice shoot a bunch, paper test first, if that goes well-walk test, then sight it in....this system has helped me narrow it down to the correct length.

Reason for the post - not to brag, but to show that a local pro-shop reccomended a 29" arrow and I had a ton of headaches tuning them - lost an inch and it was done over a weekend.

Joe

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Remember that Easton used to suggest 1 " infront of your rest. But the rest used to be at the berger button hole. Now the rests are more like overdraws and put 1" in front of the rest is about where your fingers might get tagged first.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

marty
Yup thats why mine are 29" and my DL 28.5

1 - 8 of 8 Posts