Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently shoot a 28” carbon to carbon arrow. I have room to shorten that up by about 2”. I’m wondering if I should get some shorter arrows? Am I going to have to get a different spine? Currently shoot a 28.5” draw at 64#, with a 350 spine. Have 100 grain field points at the moment. Would I notice any benefit? I’m kinda new to this process.

·
Registered
51,099 Posts
If you can shorten them a true 2" there is no need for new arrows. Cut them off install new inserts and go.
But if your not having a problem with how they shoot and the tip is in front of the riser when your at full draw just leave them alone.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Making your shorter arrow will make your spine more stiff. This could allow you to add more point weight if you want more foc or a heavier arrow.
Most importantly is that you have correct arrow spine with your setup.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Just thwackin' it.
7,196 Posts
Follow prodigy's advice... plug your numbers into a spine calculator (victoryarchery.com/arrow-guide) first to determine if shortening your arrow is a wise choice.

If so, proceed. And technically you don't need new inserts:

cut the arrow with enough space that you don't cut into the insert
get a beat up field point and put it in, hold it with some pliers
use a torch to literally cook the carbon off... you may want to do this outside, the smell isn't pleasant
use needle nose pliers to pull off the carbon once it's cooked
once it cools, clean the insert with MEK then denatured alcohol/acetone... the second cleaning agent assures the MEK is removed so it doesn't interfere with new glue

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,736 Posts
i like a little longer arrow if you plan on hunting with broadheads, i like my fingers to have a little distance between them and the broadhead lol

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
What is your goal, or rather what are you hoping to get out of cutting your current arrows shorter?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts