Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new bow and the string is thinner then my old bowstring, should I adjust the nocks to the string (use hot water and pinch them together?) or just buy a new string that is thicker? I've never reserved a string, would this fix the issue, and if so, I would just need one of the serving jigs and some serving correct (recommendations/tips)?
I think I have classic bohning classic index nocks.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Easton Conventional nocks have a smaller throat than the Bohnings. You may have to buy a couple spools of serving to find the combination that fits the nocks you have if you want to go that route. I stopped ordering strings because I don't know what I will get. My local shop will build them to fit whatever arrow and bow I leave with them.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Another thing that works well for building up the diameter of the serving area is teflon plumbers tape.

Reactions: Corene1

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Heck just buy new nocks, easy peasy and easier than re-serving tho that can be fun.. don't heat and pinch knocks cause if you damage them then bad things can happen..and don't shoot arrows with nocks groves too large for the string serving-- nocks are cheap ish..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What brand of nocks are you using and do you know the string material, number of strands. B55? D97? 8125?..........
I think they are bohning nocks (I shoot wood), and I think the string is d97 (bow was used, but I think it's the original string from Tolke), I don't think I can remove the nocks without damaging the arrows, so maybe I'll give reserving a shot.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you know the material and strand count that your string has, I can give you a good idea of which serving to buy. Teflon tape underneath the serving is a great way to fine tune your finished diameter, if it's just a bit small. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want. I'll be happy to walk you through it. You want to end up with a finished dia. around .120" for Bohning Classics.

Allen
Ten Ring Strings

·
Registered
397 Posts
Not a permanent solution but gets you shooting those arrows from that string quick and cheap and safe: micropore or paper tape in the first aid section at any drugstore, wrapped around the serving until it fits how you want. Needs a slight adjustment every couple hundred shots if it's thick as it'll get compressed a tad, but works a charm as a quick fix.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have been using Marco nocks for my wood arrows and recently bought some bohning nocks and found they have a bit bigger nock fit. Haven't used them yet as I will have to change my serving or strings on 3 bows. Eventually I will have to get around to it as I found Marco nocks don't have a consistent nock fit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts