Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to better understand what makes arrows noisy, or quiet. Knowing some people will say that arrow noise doesn’t matter, well, it matters to me. So you guys can go away.

Some questions about arrow noise:
-Assuming actual arrow speed of 280fps, how much does it go up or down with +/- 15fps?
-Which vane shape is quieter: shield cut or parabolic cut?
-Are taller vanes quieter than shorter vanes?
-Three fletch vs four fletch?
-Can we generalize that nocks are more or less noise-neutral?
-Can we generalize that mechanical broadheads are quieter than fixed, or vice versa?
-Are solid fixed blade broad heads quieter than vented? Two blade vs three?
-…and other even better questions​

There are lots of opinions on AT about arrow noise. But almost all of them are anecdotal (“my buddy stood behind the tree and told me that that vane was quieter…”), and I have seen almost no instrument measurement of arrow noise over large sample sizes. In other words, almost everything I have seen is opinion, not data based.

Perhaps we should begin a thread to talk about how to begin to answer these and other questions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm interested in this topic too, looking forward to learning what testing might have been done already.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Lots of info about this on YouTube.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I know my feathers are less noisy when they’re in perfect shape. I don’t worry about it until hunting season.

A solid broadhead is definitely less noisy than a vented but not all vented are noisy.

Not sure if a mechanical is less than a non vented fixed.

For all of them, when I shoot, it’s just the hiss of death.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I've not noticed arrow noise much except for when a head is loose or fletching is about to come off. That said I do try a lot of different broad heads & some are very noisy while others not. It's not necessarily a fixed vs. mechanical thing, either. Some heads are just noisy regardless of type. Ironically, some of the loudest heads I've shot tend to be pretty popular, so maybe the noise they make is specific to the set up. What's loud on my arrow through my bow might be plenty quiet on somebody else's set up.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I shoot over my iPhone time to time and my arrow sounds like a freight train coming. And this is with only a target tip. I've tested a handful of vanes that were supposed to be quiet but I keep gravitating back to blazers. They're loud, but the work well for me. I do shoot a hard right hand helical, not sure the degree but as much helical as I can get on the shaft for better arrow flight and forgiveness. First and foremost in my opinion is I want the arrow to hit where I am aiming at, then I'll worry about the other things.

·
team whacknstack
3,205 Posts
I’m sure there’s some difference between various vanes/feathers, but some broadheads whistle. Imo as long as your bh don’t whistle your chasing your tail.

·
The Impartial Archer
17,915 Posts
From what I have seen most noise "can" come from the broad head. Mechanicals can be some of the loudest because the parts that let the blades deploy are flat and meant to grab hold of the hide.

Vented heads can be loud as well and the best are the solid heads with COC bleads as far as how quiet they are in flight.

Next is probably the fletching. Feathers are louder than vanes and the way they are fletched matters too......but how much I don't know.

I think arrow noise can be a factor under the right conditions and not a factor in others and why you will get so many different answers to follow. If you have a loud bow and then follow that up with a loud slow arrow I think the deer react more. If the bow is quiet then the arrow noise becomes less of a factor because it's not combined with another attention getter.

I don't think you will ever get an arrow with a broad head to not have a hiss to it but I have seen the noise vary greatly with certain combinations. I know for a fact the less noise the less potential there is for a reaction so I stay away from really loud setups just because it's easy to do.

I shoot 4 inch AAE vanes with an offset and stay away from broad heads that have excessive noise...…..just because it makes me feel better...….lol

·
Registered
20,000 Posts
There's no voodoo about it. Surface area creates drag and that sheds energy in the form of friction. Some energy is lost by turning into sound energy. The larger the surface area and the more that surface is perpendicular to the direction of travel, like helical fletching vs straight fletching, the more friction there will be and the more sound energy will be created. Large, hard helical vanes will be louder than small straight fletch vanes.

·
Back down to ground level
16,019 Posts
Half the noise could be from an out of tune bow, Any whipping of the arrow will create drag. Drag creates noise. 2" vanes with a 1* offset will be quieter than 4' or feathers and helical. Fixed heads can also generate more noise if not cutting straight through the air. Biggest difference in noise is between feathers and vanes, all IMO. If the bow is tuned, there is no need to use 4 fletch. I tried both and seen no difference in POI. Hard to tell if there was more noise when the noise of the string is still is in my ears when the arrow hits. The faster the arrow gets there, the less chance of reaction before it hits.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
23,321 Posts
There's no voodoo about it. Surface area creates drag and that sheds energy in the form of friction. Some energy is lost by turning into sound energy. The larger the surface area and the more that surface is perpendicular to the direction of travel, like helical fletching vs straight fletching, the more friction there will be and the more sound energy will be created. Large, hard helical vanes will be louder than small straight fletch vanes.
^^^what he said^^^^

and anything loose or torn...a small tear in a vane will make A LOT of noise, loose blades of a mechanical or any tip not screwed down tight

1 - 15 of 15 Posts