Archery Talk Forum banner

Arrow penetration on Drury Show??

6086 Views 51 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  FrankinLAURELS
I had recorded a hunting show and I finally got to watch it last night. I do not remember the name of the show but the Drury brothers were on it. The orginal air date was 9/23/08 I think.

Anyway he was on his 60th day of hunting and finally took a nice buck. He put a good shot on it but had very little penetration, it looked like maybe 4 or 5 inches at most. He recovered the buck and it had a killer entry wound I just wonder why he did not get any more penetration than that.

Did any of you guys see this show? If so, why do you think the arrow did not penetrate very far?

I almost forgot the funniest part. He had a horse under his stand......I was cracking up, I have seen many things from a treestand but never a horse....LOL.

I think the Drury boys rock!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
753 Posts
big 2 blade rage, might of hit some of the shoulder, which would slow it down. my experience with rage has been pass through, hitting ribs, but the thick shoulder bone still can make a stop.
awesome heads if you know how to keep them locked, and keep the screw tight.

drury brothers are my favorite though!

· Registered
8,525 Posts
I saw it also ,and was wondering the same thing .It dident look like it hit the sholder ,a little far back for that ,might have cought a rib just right .They said the deer only went about 100 yrd's .

· Registered
2,214 Posts
I thought he actually hit him right in the shoulder up high. It sure looked like he hardly got any penetration at least not enough to kill the deer but, of course there must of been just enough to hit the lungs. Terry sure seems like he has a hard time putting a good shot especially when it comes to taking bucks. All the does that he shoots he sure makes good clean shots on them but, as soon as it's time to shoot a buck he either shoots over them or hits them in the shoulder. He must get buck fever pretty bad

· Registered
1,099 Posts
I've been watching hunting vids harcore these days... I guess it satiates my thirst to be in the woods, if only for the time being. Anyway, the point is that in all these drury videos I've been watching, they rarely get pass throughs. In fact, any show I've been watching that involves the Rage broadhead, tend to have very low penetration. Typically they don't get pass throughs and the deer runs away with the arrow bounching around.

I'm not gonna BLAME the head, but it is a trend. I shot a buck last year with the 3 blade Rage and I won't do it again. I made a good shot that had no shoulder contact, but it barely poked out the opposing side. The arrow fell out when he ran, left a massive hole (that's agreed) but it bothers me to know that pulling a newer bow, at 70lbs, at 15 yards, with a heavy arrow won't blow completely through that deer and plant itself a foot in the ground.

· Premium Member
963 Posts
Don't those guys only shoot like 55lbs of draw weight???

That might be why they are having penetration issues with the 2" cut rages...

Not sure though...

· Registered
5,479 Posts
I would chalk it up to expandables hitting bone. I've had it happen twice with high rib shots on deer. Both went a long ways and I only got around eight inches of penetration.

Not a fan of the Drury's though. Too much arrogance.

· Fat Jesus
29,133 Posts
I'm not sure what poundage Terry Drury is pulling but Mark is only pulling like 52lbs. on his Dream Season X-Force. You combine that low poundage with a big 2" cut Rage and it's gonna limit penetration even with the X-Force bows. I know bows are a ton more effecient than they use to be, but I'm still kinda old school, I like to hunt with 70lbs....I like 2 holes in a deer when I shoot them.

· Registered
446 Posts
Don't those guys only shoot like 55lbs of draw weight???

That might be why they are having penetration issues with the 2" cut rages...

Not sure though...
Yeah I seem to remember they shoot about 50 lbs and use Rage heads.

IMO those Rage heads need to much KE to get a consistent passthrough for 50lbs.

Why don't they lift weights a little and shoot a 60lb bow? I mean this is their profession. Anyone should be able to shoot 60lb with lots of practice shooting and maybe a little weight lifting. Even I shoot 60 and I can't bench my weight.

E

· Registered
209 Posts
I have never really understood why it seems like they get little penetration all the time.. the last 2 years my brother and I have taken a total of 9 deer with the rage and all but one was a pass through.... and the one that wasnt still poked out the other side after the shoulder

· Premium Member
17,591 Posts
I've been watching hunting vids harcore these days... I guess it satiates my thirst to be in the woods, if only for the time being. Anyway, the point is that in all these drury videos I've been watching, they rarely get pass throughs. In fact, any show I've been watching that involves the Rage broadhead, tend to have very low penetration. Typically they don't get pass throughs and the deer runs away with the arrow bounching around.
I'm not gonna BLAME the head, but it is a trend. I shot a buck last year with the 3 blade Rage and I won't do it again. I made a good shot that had no shoulder contact, but it barely poked out the opposing side. The arrow fell out when he ran, left a massive hole (that's agreed) but it bothers me to know that pulling a newer bow, at 70lbs, at 15 yards, with a heavy arrow won't blow completely through that deer and plant itself a foot in the ground.
I've had the same observation. Shows with guys that normally get complete passthrus are getting less than desirable penetration. I've never tried the Rage and there are a lot of guys that love them..........but I don't like seeing that. At first I thought the same thing......"Maybe he hit the shoulder, rib(s), etc" but there seem to be so many "perfect broadside unalert deer" being hit without passthrus I think I'll stick with the time tested broadheads.:wink: JMHO

· Registered
308 Posts
Low poundage and a 2 inch cut broadhead equals less penetration.
I am not a big fan of the Drury's because their show is too much of a commercial. I think they should use a different broadhead or lift some weights and we would see more passthroughs IMO.

· have bow-will travel
3,997 Posts
Anyone ever consider that maybe they want the arrow impact to be seen and are trying for this result. Sounds far fetched I know, but this is what it looks like to me. I have not used Rages but I have never shot a broadside deer and not had a pass-thru regardless of head. This is true if no big bones hit. I believe these hunting shows use dogs to find the deer. Some of the hits I see I know I would have a problem recovering the deer without out the help of a "super" tracker.

· Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the Drury brothers but not a fan of the Rage broadheads after seeing this show.

I know for me I would rather have a 1" inch hole that is a pass through instead of a 2" hole that just goes in a few inches.

I would imagine it would take alot of kenetic energry to make a 2" hole all the way through a deer and all of this talk about ribs and shoulders.... everything I hunt has ribs and shoulders. I thought the shot on tv looked great, I watched it several times in slow motion and I would take that shot everytime.

Most broadheads do good job on a perfect shot.... its when we have less than perfect shots that we ask our broadheads to really step it up.

· Registered
112 Posts
Sorry boys but shot placement will get you every time. I shoot the rage 3 blades and I am sticking the arrow in the ground upon exit of the boiler room. I also am only pulling 55# so go figure.

· Registered
10,765 Posts
Low arrow weight and 50# 60# Ke., sub .50 momentum .I saw the same results most with simmular setups do and should expect on shooting large Mechs at large Mature heavy bodied animals.

No real supprise as most of those who passthrough or almost trough with simmular setuips are usualy shooting animals that Field dress less than 160 ish for bucks and 120 pounds or less on feild dressed on soft hided and lighter boned does!JMHO they need more pounds and alot more grains of arrow weight if they are going to shoot large Mechs.

· Registered
6,628 Posts
I've noticed this not only with Terry's shot that is in question here but with a lot of the people that are shooting Rage heads. It seems like the only people getting a passthrough with them are the guys shooting heavy arrows or heavy poundage which is obviously common sense. IMO most of these guys on TV are shooting set ups that aren't designed for 2" mechanical heads ( low poundage, light arrows, short draw length) but since Field Logic is footing the bill they have no choice.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.