Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The arrows I use will be for hunting, 3D, and target shooting. I do not change the bow poundage or set-up for the different types of shooting. So I'm looking for one carbon arrow that holds up well, covers all three, 330 ~ 340 spine, and a weight range of 8.2 ~ 9.5 gpi.

At this time, I'm looking at these three manufacturers of arrows. I appreciate your inputs and comments to the following questions.

1. What do you think about the Carbon Express Maxima Red verse the Maxima Hunter arrows?

2. Interesting about what they claim about the Maxima Red's. Do these arrows actually perform better with (fixed) broad heads?

3. How would you compare the Gold Tip Hunter Pro or XT's arrows to the above mentioned?

4. How would you compare the Easton Bloodline and or Wildthing arrows to the above mentioned arrows?

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,534 Posts
What spine?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Spine plays a huge factor in this. It would be helpful to know.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The arrows I use will be for hunting, 3D, and target shooting. I do not change the bow poundage or set-up for the different types of shooting. So I'm looking for one carbon arrow that holds up well, covers all three, 330 ~ 340 spine, and a weight range of 8.2 ~ 9.5 gpi.

At this time, I'm looking at these three manufacturers of arrows. I appreciate your inputs and comments to the following questions.

1. What do you think about the Carbon Express Maxima Red verse the Maxima Hunter arrows?

2. Interesting about what they claim about the Maxima Red's. Do these arrows actually perform better with (fixed) broad heads?

3. How would you compare the Gold Tip Hunter Pro or XT's arrows to the above mentioned?

4. How would you compare the Easton Bloodline and or Wildthing arrows to the above mentioned arrows?
1 and 2. The only reason any arrow would perform better than another would be proper spining and better spine deviation (that is the consistency of the spine all the way around the shaft)
3. Gold Tip makes a great arrow that falls in the middle as far as price. They are less flashy, but they really work great.
4. Really all of these arrows are pretty comparable, but with Easton you are paying for the name more than anything.

I would also like to put our arrows in the mix for you to consider. Our 350 spine hunters run a little lighter than what you requested (7.9GPI) but are very durable and have a spine deviation of +/-.005
Plus our price point puts us significantly cheaper than most of the arrows listed above.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what about the claim? Do the Reds having the same spine, arrow length, fetching, shot from the same bow, etc., shoot any better with broad heads?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Just buy what you can afford and what is avaliable. Are most of us going to be able to notice if we shoot a .006 vs .001 deviation? No. If buying the straighter arrows make you feel more confident then go ahead and buy them. Just remember that there is a lot of hype and inflated prices out there to help pay for marketing and endorsements. Can't blame the companies for doing it. If you could sell a product that you have $30 in for $60 or $120 what would you do?

I have shot Beamans, Gold Tip, PSE Carbon Force, and Victory. In my opinion you can't find a more durable arrow them the Carbon Force. The Beamans have a nice slick finish on the outside so they draw quiet, the Victorys have a coating also to they are supposed to pull easy but if you are using them for 3d then you still want to lube them. Gold Tip is a durable and fair prices arrow but I think that they need a coating to help make them smoother. Seems like they want to weld themselves into targets.

Never used Carbon Express or Easton. Just can't bring myself to spend that much for arrows when there is so many other options that are less money.

·
Registered
14,592 Posts
I would look at the easton da torch arrows. I hate that it has waddels name on them but they shot as good or better than anything else I have tried. The carbon express does not actually have any measurable difference in spine or weight forward from what I have been able to see or test, but they did shoot very well when I tried them. I love my vaps but hate the aluminum inserts, I have not tried the new ones and I am shooting the stainless steel inserts which would probably make your arrows heavier than you would like.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,178 Posts
I get what you are trying to do but there will be some compromising involved. The same light arrow that is better for 3D is worse for hunting- makes your bow louder and worse penetration. So you need to decide what is more important- hunting or 3D.

I used to use a diff arrow and sight for 3D but now just shoot my hunting setup for everything. I don't care so much that I can't compete with the top guys doing this....I shoot 3D to improve my hunting skill....so you need to decide which of these is important to you.

Compound, I shoot my 495 gr arrow for everything. I do the same with a hunting arrow from my recurve which is more important trajectory wise NOT to swap back and forth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts