Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys here's my question. I shoot 2213 xx78's at 26" out of my HCA Speed Pro at 55lbs. I have a 27" draw and have it tipped with a 100 grain Magnus Stinger. My question is this. I seem to be getting good penetration but my pass throughs are limited this year. I just shot a third doe at 18 yards tonight slight quarter away. i did hit the opposite shoulder a bit so it stayed in. I shot my other two one at 32 yards and the other at 27. Same thing but no bone hits. They just fall out when they are running or snap in half. Would it be better to try a lighter shaft or to go to a slim shaft such as an FMJ? I always had good luck with my aluminums and I am ending up with dead deer so no complaints on that but I have never had this many stay in the deer. Am I being over critical or should I try something else to see if I get better efficiency?

Scott

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
MY QUESTION TO YOU
2213 is fatter than carbon shafts,also not as durable.
cabelas xtremes shafts are cheap and will do a great job for you.
if i was looking for more penetration,with 55lbs. and a 27 dl i would switch to carbon shafts,no reason not too!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Alright guys here's my question. I shoot 2213 xx78's at 26" out of my HCA Speed Pro at 55lbs. I have a 27" draw and have it tipped with a 100 grain Magnus Stinger. My question is this. I seem to be getting good penetration but my pass throughs are limited this year. I just shot a third doe at 18 yards tonight slight quarter away. i did hit the opposite shoulder a bit so it stayed in. I shot my other two one at 32 yards and the other at 27. Same thing but no bone hits. They just fall out when they are running or snap in half. Would it be better to try a lighter shaft or to go to a slim shaft such as an FMJ? I always had good luck with my aluminums and I am ending up with dead deer so no complaints on that but I have never had this many stay in the deer. Am I being over critical or should I try something else to see if I get better efficiency?

Scott

Might want to give carbon arrows a try, Other than that 55 pounds is plenty for pass-thrus on deer, and magnus are good heads,......FMJ are good shafts as well, Id give em a try

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have shot plenty of carbons over the years so I am experienced in them. I just always prefered my aluminums. Anyway, I'm just wondering if they are slowing me up to much now. I don't want to turn the draw weight up as I like it where it is and I know the Magnus heads are great so that's not an issue. Just wondering if I would benefit from a tad more speed as I do tend to get shots past 30yards on a regular basis. Thoughts??

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts