Archery Talk Forum banner

Arrow Question

653 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Dale_B1
I have been shooting Easton Axis ST 340's for years with my Hoyt UltraSport (Cam & 1/2) set to 68lbs and 28.5 draw. My only complaint with them has been they are a BEAR to pull out of pressed particle board targets. They melt the target and instantly glue themselves to it.

I recently got a new to me Hoyt AlphaMax 32 that I have maxed out at 63lbs and set to 28.5 draw. Supposedly it shoots faster than the set up I have with the UltraSport, but I haven't had a chance to chrono them yet.

I am thinking about switching arrows for ease of target pulling, and considered a good deal on some FMJ from someone on AT. Here is my question.....Should I be shooting 340's or 400's from the new rig?

I go to the Easton Charts and they don't have an option for Cam & 1/2 system, just hard/single cam or medium cams. And the 63lbs comes in on the low end of their 62-66 range. With a 29" arrow it comes up as 400's with medium cams, but 340's with hard cams.

So - 340's or 400's?

Also, what have you found works best out of your rig set up similar to my new one?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
55,434 Posts
I have been shooting Easton Axis ST 340's for years with my Hoyt UltraSport (Cam & 1/2) set to 68lbs and 28.5 draw. My only complaint with them has been they are a BEAR to pull out of pressed particle board targets. They melt the target and instantly glue themselves to it.

I recently got a new to me Hoyt AlphaMax 32 that I have maxed out at 63lbs and set to 28.5 draw. Supposedly it shoots faster than the set up I have with the UltraSport, but I haven't had a chance to chrono them yet.

I am thinking about switching arrows for ease of target pulling, and considered a good deal on some FMJ from someone on AT. Here is my question.....Should I be shooting 340's or 400's from the new rig?
I go to the Easton Charts and they don't have an option for Cam & 1/2 system, just hard/single cam or medium cams. And the 63lbs comes in on the low end of their 62-66 range. With a 29" arrow it comes up as 400's with medium cams, but 340's with hard cams.

So - 340's or 400's?

Also, what have you found works best out of your rig set up similar to my new one?
What are you doing shooting into particle board???? Buy a good/proper target. Pulling them has NOTHING to do with the arrow and everything to do with the target your using. It has to be rough on the arrows.:mg:

· Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what all the backstops at our local archery ranges are made out of. Looks like 2" of recycled paper pressed together, and then about 50 sheets of the stuff squeezed and bolted down. I hate the stuff...but if I want to shoot over 20yds, that is my only option. And this includes the 3d course backstops. :sad:

Sadly...anything better than that would probably disappear!

· Registered
55,434 Posts
OK then it's not partical board but cardboard----big,big difference. Changing arrows in either case is not going to solve anything. You could use a lube for your arrows that would help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.