Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first set of carbon arrows...the knocks where not glued in. I am shooting a whisker biscuit. Which direction should my cock vane go? Should it go directly up or to the outside? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I wouldn't glue the nocks in unless they fit loose. Even then, you can still get a tight fit using cellophane wrap (Glad wrap). The reason for not gluing the nocks is you can adjust or replace them as necessary. I would start with the cock vane up. If you have clearance issues with the cables you can adjust as necessary.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
According to the info that came with my WB (yes, I actually read it), you can put the vanes any direction you want...that it makes no difference if it is up, out,etc...as long as it clears the bow...they may have more info on their website...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah they fit pretty tight... I thought they were just being lazy by not glueing them... So you are saying it is better to not glue them if they fit tight? Won't that make them able to move around?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
AS for the nocks, I use a small dab of hot melt glue...if I find I have to rotate the nock, I use a hot hair dryer to gently warm the nock enough to the point where I can twist it in the direction I need.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shouldn't you just glue it in the right place so you shouldn't have to move it later? Or is there a reason you may want to move it later?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I always glue mine...you MAY have to rotate them if you change something...like a new rest, differnt type of fletching, etc...or change bows...but otherwise, if all things remain equal, they shouldn't have to be rotated...

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I have never glued a nock in a carbon arrow and I have never had one move. The main reason for not glueing them is if you break a nock you can still salvage the arrow shaft.

Darrel

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so if they happen to turn by accident should you just eyeball it back in line? If it is a little off how will that effect my arrow?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Most of the time they fit snug, so them turning is usually not a problem. If they do turn, put a piece of plastic wrap over the arrow shaft and push the nock in. Then trim the excess plastic wrap off. This will make them tighter in the shaft.

If a nock is turned slightly, it shouldn't have much affect on accuracy. But if you have one or more shafts that will mot group with the rest of your arrows, you can turn the nocks 1/3 of a turn at a time and that will sometimes move them back into the group. This is know as nock tuning.

Darrel

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
COOL! Thanks everyone so much for your help!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts