Archery Talk Forum banner

Arrow question

471 10
I have started Whitetail hunting again this this year after 25 years.
This time around I will only be using a compound bow.
I have a Martin Fire cat pro x that is maxed out around 60 lbs.
I am in the market for some new hunting arrows.
Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I have taken a small buck this year using Easton lightspeed 200's with a 100 grain Grim Reaper expandable.
My draw length is 29 in and I would like to shoot the minimum weight as I can get away with as to not loose too much speed.

Thanks in advance,

Louis D.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
22,919 Posts
Gold Tip's.

· Premium Member
10,938 Posts
With the Cat cams you'd most likely be at the upper edge of a 400 spine at 29, but you could try them. For a little more ooomph you could also try a 340 spine. Light arrow shafts would be a Gold Tip Ultralite series in the proper spine. There are others such as your Litespeeds, but maybe move to a 340 spine in them, too.

· Registered
11,913 Posts
I use Victory HV 400 spine shafts cut to 29", I think it's best to use COC points with light arrows, so I use Hellrazor 125g three blade fixed. I spent a lot of time tuning and got bare shafts, broad heads and field points to all impact the same point at 56 pounds. I tested 350 spine arrows and found I needed to go more than 62 pounds, which is where my bow maxes out. I shoot out or tree stand at distances usually under 30 yards. These arrows have passed through every deer I have shot and are difficult to pull out of the ground. I for get the exact speed because I have changed so many things, but it is way over 300fps. I should go check it!

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have some Easton redline 460's that I have made up for target shooting that have 80 gr tips on them if i go with the 100 gr Grim Reaper tip.
Would they work for my purpose? I remember reading somewhere that this would work.

· Den Bow's Custom Arrows
4,740 Posts
The Black Eagle Carnivore in 400 spine at 7.5gpi would be a good fit for your setup.

· Premium Member
10,938 Posts
I have some Easton redline 460's that I have made up for target shooting that have 80 gr tips on them if i go with the 100 gr Grim Reaper tip.
Would they work for my purpose? I remember reading somewhere that this would work.

You could try them, but I'm betting they are not stiff enough at that length. I have shot a 500 spine (close to 460) up to 63#, but only 27" long and 27" draw length. That's about the upper limit. Oh, and this was out of the same bow as you have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.