Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly what the title states...I need some recommendations for a new arrow set up.
I'm shooting a Mathews z7 extreme-tactical, 29" draw and approx. 56 pounds.
My current arrow is a behman ics hunter 400 w/ v-brake, 2" blazer vanes, nocturnal nocks and 100 grain montecs up front.
I'd like to give the qad exodus broadheads a try for the next year so that's covered but as far as the rest goes....I'm easy.
I just feel the need to switch it up for the next season, so what do you guy recommend for me....

·
Team Overkill
6,628 Posts
FMJ's or some .340 Gold Tip Kinetics with 50-70 grain insert weight up front. Heavy hitting and good f.o.c. Both are great hunting arrows.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
FMJ's or some .340 Gold Tip Kinetics with 50-70 grain insert weight up front. Heavy hitting and good f.o.c. Both are great hunting arrows.
I second the advice of the .340 Gold Tip Kinetics with 50-70 grain insert weight up front.
Great arrows!

The Stainless Steel Black Eagle Rampage/Renegade Bone Crushing Half-out Insert that weighs 56 grain might be a good choice for your arrow.
I have not tested them myself yet, but I have ordered a dozen to do so.

·
Registered
21 Posts
so, Can I tag along on this KnowledgeQuest? Does everyone else use the same arrows for off season target practice ( I usually split a dozen)? I am not competing or anything.

·
Team Overkill
6,628 Posts
Of course we practice with the arrows we shoot in the field but we aim at different spots on the target to avoid splitting them.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Your Bemans are great. If you want heavier, you could go with a 125 grain head or weighted inserts. Does the Exodus come in 125 grain?

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
so, Can I tag along on this KnowledgeQuest? Does everyone else use the same arrows for off season target practice ( I usually split a dozen)? I am not competing or anything.
I don't manage to split my GT Kinetics even when I try to.
I just ruin nocks, wraps and vanes if I try to shoot tight groups.

I test all my arrows at the range before I use them when hunting, but I aim at different spots with them as I hate ruining my hunting arrows or the need for refletching or adding new wraps and nocks.

·
Proverbs 21:19
9,615 Posts
What he said. I'm an Easton guy but the Goldtips are also a great shaft.

·
Team Overkill
6,628 Posts
Well that's a matter of preference but generally speaking for hunting 10 to 15% is considered good f.o.c. Greater f.o.c. numbers are acheived by those who build custom arrows to suit their desires. F.o.c. helps with optimal accuracy and with penetration. The greatest number of f.o.c. is the highest % an arrow can make before it's spine becomes too weak.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanx for the info guys. Looks like I'm going to have to do some research on arrows to figure out about spine strength and such.

·
Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
25,402 Posts
I just built some easton axis arrows with brass inserts the 300s at 28" and 50 gr insert is 490 gr with 100 gr tips. Brass inserts come in 75 gr so u can get heavier if u want

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The info you guys are giving is great...thanx. I do have a few more questions though. My current arrows are 28.5" long and are about a 1/2" setting into my shooting shelf.
Should I make my arrows an 1" longer so they are just past my shelf?
Also, my draw length on my bow is 28, not 29 as I posted...my bad.
The arrow selection I think I'm gonna go with is the Gold Tip Kinetic XT 400s with 125 gr Exodus heads up front. Any more info and input would be appreciated...thanx.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts