Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice to mull over. I bought an AR31 over the summer and recently tuned it using pretty much all the knowledge I've ever picked up here and there. Anyway, I got it shooting a perfect hole while paper tuning. So then I go to shooting bare shaft on the range. The nock end was a little high but definitely not bad for a bare shaft. I thought for sure my muzzy's would be ok shooting feathers and 250fps. Well they were fine at 20, about 3inches low at 30, 6 inches low at 40...you get the point. So I started adding some spring tension to the rest. It slowly brought the POI up to where my field points were hitting, and now they are dead on at any distance. Only thing is the tension on the rest is very tight. Tighter than I've ever had to shoot on any bow. So tight its leaving marks on the end of my shafts(they're crested so its easy to see). I know its not low nocking position either. Does this sound normal to need this much tension? Is this particular to one cam bows(this is the first I've had)? Any thoughts or similar experience would be appreciated.

Kris

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
What poundage bow, type arrows, head weight.

To me, and I'm no expert, it almost sounds like underspined arrows. The stiffer rest tension may be allowing the arrows to leave a little more straight.

Just a guess though.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
70# 2315 XX78 28.5" 125 gr head. I know the spine is OK. I don't have any horizontal planing at all. Again, my bare shaft shoots pretty damn good, but it is still a little nock high at about 10yds.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Are you using a release?
If so the arrow flexes vertical. Hence the need for the increased tension.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I've always shot with a release. I've tuned a lot of bows before when I worked in a pro shop, but this one is unique to me. I understand string travel and oscillations and such but have never had a bow that required this much tension to make broadheads shoot. Thanks for your input though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts