Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide between a t bird and a Weston 8000 rpm. Need some help deciding. Thanks.

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
28,685 Posts
No experience with the t-bird arrow saw but I do have the Weston 8000 RPM. I only cut carbon arrows and it works great.

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
28,685 Posts
Is the dust collector necessary?
I have never used it… The dust created from cutting a dozen arrows at a time is minimal in my experience. Maybe if you were using it in a shop and cutting a lot of arrows, I could see using it.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I also have a Weston, which works great for home use. I only build a dozen or 2 a year. I got the basic, 8000 rpm, without the dust catcher attachment. It's easy to just vacuum up the little bit of dust. If I had a shop, I'd choose a higher end system for daily, repeated use, but Weston is fine for just me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Square a dremel with a cutting disc to a board. Will cut a shaft just the same as a high end saw. The magic is in properly squaring the end with a good squaring tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Be careful. Once carbon dust gets in your lungs, it’s not coming out. Another great reason to shoot aluminum. 😉 I use a Weston btw.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have my saw mounted on a board that'll sit between two sawhorses, and just do my cutting outside. Figure no reason to take a chance on carbon dust indoors when it's so easy to do it in the yard or on the driveway. Plus I also don't have to listen to the wife tell me to clean yet another mess up...

·
Registered
23,698 Posts
I had a Weston 5000rpm arrow saw that worked great for well over a decade......until it quit one day last fall. I tried to contact Weston for a replacement motor, but that ended up a fruitless mission. Then I looked on Ebay for replacement motors, but all had different sized shafts for the cutting wheel. So after shopping and comparing, I bought an "X-Spot" or Decut from Lancaster just before Christmas. Every month or so, Lancaster has a free shipping offer and you can save if you pay attention.

I haven't used it yet because I also cut carbon arrows outside on a calm day rather than pay for a vacuum attachment and risk having carbon dust indoors. However it appears to be a solid unit for the money.....hopefully worth the investment.

·
Premium Member
Reckoning 35 for 3D, RealmX for hunt, PSE SupraFocusXL for spot . Axcel, ARC release, Victory.
1,902 Posts
I had a Weston 5000rpm arrow saw that worked great for well over a decade......until it quit one day last fall. I tried to contact Weston for a replacement motor, but that ended up a fruitless mission. Then I looked on Ebay for replacement motors, but all had different sized shafts for the cutting wheel. So after shopping and comparing, I bought an "X-Spot" or Decut from Lancaster just before Christmas. Every month or so, Lancaster has a free shipping offer and you can save if you pay attention.

I haven't used it yet because I also cut carbon arrows outside on a calm day rather than pay for a vacuum attachment and risk having carbon dust indoors. However it appears to be a solid unit for the money.....hopefully worth the investment.

In Finland, there was no possible to get one with dust collector.
So I made it myself.

Check more HERE

·
Registered
23,698 Posts
That is a really ingenious build, Tipe.....good work. If I had a desire to use my Decut inside, I would definitely consider that design. However I am quite comfortable waiting for nice weather and doing it outside. Complete setup, cutting and such only takes about 10-15 minutes and is very easy with our home setup. I have a slider in the basement with immediate access to the outdoors and my archery "man cave".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts