Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
It's where its at!!
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Search is not working very well for me so I am just wondering If 8000 rpm is mandatory for carbons or is 5k more than sufficient? Seems like a cleaner cut would be achieved with 8k but if one were to use a ASD then does the extra speed really help?

Thanks y'all.

Carl

·
(aka lug nut)
48,384 Posts
wolfman_73 said:
Search is not working very well for me so I am just wondering If 8000 rpm is mandatory for carbons or is 5k more than sufficient? Seems like a cleaner cut would be achieved with 8k but if one were to use a ASD then does the extra speed really help?

Thanks y'all.

Carl
Hello Carl:

Just make a scoring cut all the way around the carbon shaft.
A light touch on the blade, and allow the shaft to spin several times.

Once you have the scoring cut all the way around the shaft,
then push the shaft all the way through the blade.

That will give you a clean cut.

A thin blade also helps.

I made a jig to hold my angle grinder (8,000 rpm)
and am using a Flexovit "Razorblade" grinding wheel which is only 3/64th thick.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
wolfman_73 said:

Thanks y'all.

Carl
RPM's dont really matter for a clean cut. The important statistic is Feet Per Minute of cutting surface....... I regularily use a 10" blade with a standard cut off saw running at 1750 RPM and it cuts perfect....

MATH:

1/2 diameter cutting blade on a standard arrow cutoff saw = 2 pi D * 8000 for feet per minute = 25,132

10" blade only needs to turn at 400 RPM to produce the same F/P/M as your 1/2 blade turning at 8000 RPM!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts