Archery Talk Forum banner

Arrow Saw

685 12
A friend and I are looking to "make" our own arrow saw. What are some good motors and blades, etc that we should look out for? We saw this: http://cgi.ebay.com/MINI-CUT-OFF-SA...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50 on ebay, but didnt know if it was any good. Anyone have any suggestions?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Archery Addict
5,688 Posts
Yeah alot of guys use them on here.You just have to maybe mount them on something and have a straight edge for the arrows to run along.You do have to make sure you take your time going thru the arrow or the blade will bind up.Go to the DIY section and look there at some of them that have been made.

· Registered
646 Posts
I bought a riobi drop saw (for timber) and a 180 x 2.3 x 16mm ceramic cutoff disc (typically for angle grinders) and put it on. I had to do a little bit of grinding on the depth stop, but its otherwise untouched and makes for a terrific drop saw for arrows.

· Registered
6,716 Posts
I was going to suggest just buying a Weston 8000 rpm saw. I bought one just a couple of years ago, new, for $135 shipped. Now I see they're $185. At that time, it made more sense to just buy one. Now I see, building one might be more cost-effective.

· Registered
1,895 Posts
I was going to suggest just buying a Weston 8000 rpm saw. I bought one just a couple of years ago, new, for $135 shipped. Now I see they're $185. At that time, it made more sense to just buy one. Now I see, building one might be more cost-effective.
Yeah, that's the predicament I'm in. Decided to make one with a Dremel with the snake attachment (don't know what the long extension thing is called). Saw some builds using that, so hoping it works well enough for my limited cutting needs.

· Registered
3,554 Posts
i have read that sewing machine motors work pretty good. you don't necessarilly need that super high RPM. all it has to with is being able to feed the cut quicker .a slower motor will wok fine, just regulate your cut feed speed accordingly. the cutt off wheels sold at harbor freight for thier mini cut off saw work fine. the hardest part about making one is making the adaptor that allowsyou to mount the wheel on a sewing machine motor. i don't think there is any source for a premade fitting.

· Registered
21 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.