Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the arrow cut off saw that is like a mini chop saw?How does it work with carbon arrows,wondering if it splinters the end?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I use a chop saw. It does splinter the end a bit from time to time, but nothing that would cause a problem. It is merely cosmetic. If you are like me and cut only a few dozen arrows a year, I think it works fine. If you are cutting dozens of arrows, buy an Apple. If it splinters, it is always on the bottom side of the cut. What I do, is cut the arrow 2/3 of the way through and roll the arrow over and cut through the remaining portion. This seems to work just fine with no splinters.

I have been thinking about wrapping the shafts with masking tape at the cutting point to see if prevents the splintering. Haven't tried it yet though.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I also use a chop saw. I used to get a little splintering but I just took my time getting the blade through the shaft and that stopped the splintering. Also, use a blade that has never cut metal, and keep it just for your arrows. You need a very smooth blade with no pits in it.
AZHUNTER

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Lot's of guys on here are using dremel's to cut their arrows. I have an apple arrow saw and I've also used a dremel. I disagree about the splintering on a carbon arrow is a little more than cosmetic - it's a structural issue. Maybe try using some tape on the spot being cut to prevent the splintering.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Treating exposed, frayed carbon fiber strands of cut or sanded edges with cyoanalic glue (sp?) is an accepted aircraft practice. Mainly to seal the ends to stop liquid migration and fraying.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I use a Dremel Setup I built myself and have never had any problem with splintering. You just have to go slowly.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
HV, your method looks interesting. Just can't see much the pic is too pixelated for any detail. Is it possible to get a better pic.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
arrow saw

Thank you for all the information i guess i will quite being a tight @$$ an buy an apple planning on doing quite a few arrows.Thanks again jb

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Apple arrow saw

I finally broke down recently and got one from Lancasters.After all them years of messing around I can't beleive it took me so long to get one.So much more hassle free.You'll be happy you picked one up.................a nice addition to the shop.
Jerry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts