Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking opinions on two different arrow setups. Basically it’s same arrow, one with a 100g and the other with 125g Head.

My Bow is a Bowtech RealmX (Comfort)set at 63lbs and 29” DL. Arrows are Easton Axis 340’s fletched with Flex Fletch 360’s. Bow is tuned and both arrows fly great out to 70yds.

100g Head..... total arrow weight is 431g, FOC is 10.6, GPP is 6.84, FPS 279
125g Head..... total arrow weight is 458g, FOC is 12.8, GPP is 7.26, FPS 273

So... I know the numbers look a little better with the 125 with weight and all, so penetration may be better. I mostly treestand Hunt east of the Mississippi(shots are 40 and under). But I am going west to Mule deer hunt( shots may be 70 yds) and wondering if the 100g May be an adequate choice for a flatter shooting arrow. I have tested the drop and here are the results ( showing how far below the 125g is below the 100g)....

40yds.... -3.5”
60yds...... -6”
70yds...... -9”

Also I want to shoot the Rage Trypan this year and they are only offered in 100g Head.i know the NAP Killzone is offered in 100/125g Head.

So.... Would you go with the 100g setup to get a flatter arrow for hunting out West? Based on the numbers above... Am I giving up anything by not using the 125g setup?

·
Full Time Novice
7,336 Posts
If your arrows are flying great why not shoot a fixed head? for me personally I wont shoot in a wind greater then 10 mph. Thats still good enough for me but any more wind and distance I wont be shooting that. I would prfer the 125 grain but thats just me. I know Ive got time to range before anything else (either mentally or with rangefinder).

·
Registered
811 Posts
Either will work, but your shafts gpi are too heavy go for my taste. I've shot deer at 50yds+ with 401gr, 13% foc and 415gr, 16% foc. My next arrows are going to be close to 500gr, 20%+ foc. I shoot a single pin Tommy Hog so the trajectory doesn't matter to me near as much as wind drift and penetration at distance. For that, you need weight and more foc helps too imo. I've heard arguments that foc doesn't matter as much as some would say but I'm a believer.

Edit: Oh ya, I also shoot fixed blade heads, but it doesn't bother me if other people want to shoot mechs.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Im battling the same thing right now on trying to choose arrow weights. I was testing trajectory like that, then I got to thinking.... we aim for "flatter trajectory" in hopes of giving us a buffer in yardage estimation and THATS IT. We should run tests that give an example of misjudged yardage, right?

I would try this: Sight the lighter arrow for say, 50yds, then shoot at 55yds to see how much room for error you have if you misjudge by 5yds (you really shouldn't, but things happen)...

Do the same thing with the heavier arrow, and I think youll see the difference isnt as much as you may think.

I did this yesterday, comparing a 402gr arrow with a 560gr arrow between 35-40yds and the difference was minimal. I know you will be western hunting at longer ranges, but, Id be interested in your findings at those ranges...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
811 Posts
I guess my point didn't come across very well in my first post. Hitting an animal at 60 yards doesn't mean squat if you only get 3" of penetration....but hey, you hit it right?!

·
Registered
124 Posts
You gain more from the improved FOC and momentum than you do from the 6fps.

That said, the performance difference between such a narrow difference in weight in both speed and penetration is minimal. That close in weight I'd go with which tunes/groups better. If you were comparing 431 to 531 it would be a more significant dilemma, and with that scenario I'd probably vote 431/458 for mule deer and 531 for elk.

Edit: I didn't notice you were also planning on shooting expandables. In that case, always go heavier. Personally I only shoot single bevel cut on contact.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Using an IBO for the Realm X at 345 FPS, I calculate that your KE is going to be very close with either weight (74.1 vs 74.3) and Momentum is .53 vs .55.

Your trajectory is close out to 40 yards with either weight, so it does not to be a big difference for 90% of your shots.

To me, the numbers are close, but indicate the heavier arrow is a better option.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Using an IBO for the Realm X at 345 FPS, I calculate that your KE is going to be very close with either weight (74.1 vs 74.3) and Momentum is .53 vs .55.

Your trajectory is close out to 40 yards with either weight, so it does not to be a big difference for 90% of your shots.

To me, the numbers are close, but indicate the heavier arrow is a better option.
RealmX is 345 in performance mode.... I have mine in Comfort and that probably knocks it down to 337 rating or so.....

·
Registered
765 Posts
RealmX is 345 in performance mode.... I have mine in Comfort and that probably knocks it down to 337 rating or so.....
Even in comfort mode at 337 FPS, the numbers don't change that much. Your KE drops to 73.9 and 74.0 and momentum is .approximately .52 and .54.

I would still opt for the heavier arrow, but there is minimal difference between the two options.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im battling the same thing right now on trying to choose arrow weights. I was testing trajectory like that, then I got to thinking.... we aim for "flatter trajectory" in hopes of giving us a buffer in yardage estimation and THATS IT. We should run tests that give an example of misjudged yardage, right?

I would try this: Sight the lighter arrow for say, 50yds, then shoot at 55yds to see how much room for error you have if you misjudge by 5yds (you really shouldn't, but things happen)...

Do the same thing with the heavier arrow, and I think youll see the difference isnt as much as you may think.

I did this yesterday, comparing a 402gr arrow with a 560gr arrow between 35-40yds and the difference was minimal. I know you will be western hunting at longer ranges, but, Id be interested in your findings at those ranges...

I am going to try this when it cools down this afternoon. I see what you are saying....

·
The Impartial Archer
18,756 Posts
I am looking opinions on two different arrow setups. Basically it’s same arrow, one with a 100g and the other with 125g Head.
My guess is it's not the same though. The reason I say that is 3.5 inch for a 25 grain change is LOT. I'm thinking the arrows are a different diameter as well. Something is up for that to be so drastic of a change at 40 yards.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My guess is it's not the same though. The reason I say that is 3.5 inch for a 25 grain change is LOT. I'm thinking the arrows are a different diameter as well. Something is up for that to be so drastic of a change at 40 yards.
Same arrow.... Axis 340’s.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I guess i think differently when it comes to splitting hairs like this...25 grains isn't going to change hardly anything at any yardage really. Arrows keep their energy longer then you think. 25 grains? nothing of real concern.

You have to get used to either size regardless. So, IMO i shoot 100 grain because you can buy the heads pretty much anywhere. In case you loose a couple arrows or whatever everything you have is easy to find. Yes One year i did run outta broadheads and that year i had some speciality head that took two weeks to get. I went to the local whatever and changed to rage or slicktrick. Always can find those heads close by.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

So I did what you suggested above. Here are the results. As you can see and what some of you guys have eluded to, there is not a lot of difference comparing the head weights against themselves at certain yardages.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
So I did what you suggested above. Here are the results. As you can see and what some of you guys have eluded to, there is not a lot of difference comparing the head weights against themselves at certain yardages.
Awesome. Thanks for doing that, helped confirm what I was seeing also lol..

·
The Ranch Fairy
911 Posts
Put 100 grains more on there, 25-50 grains is skeet stuff. You’ll be surprised!
It ain’t about getting the arrow to the animal that counts, well, in 3D - OK
It’s 110% about getting the arrow through the animal. In Bowhunting - Fact.
Spend more time on the latter.

It’s funny, 600 grains from my Xcursion 6 (sexy Pamela) has a very consistent trajectory, it just carries along. But trust me bro!! When it gets there, the animals are in trouble!!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Put 100 grains more on there, 25-50 grains is skeet stuff. You’ll be surprised!
It ain’t about getting the arrow to the animal that counts, well, in 3D - OK
It’s 110% about getting the arrow through the animal. In Bowhunting - Fact.
Spend more time on the latter.

It’s funny, 600 grains from my Xcursion 6 (sexy Pamela) has a very consistent trajectory, it just carries along. But trust me bro!! When it gets there, the animals are in trouble!!
Ranch Fairy - I'm learning how little the trajectory changes with a lot of added weight. I'm going from 402gr to 550+gr, and my room for error on a 5 yard misjudgement from 35 to 40 yards still results in a miss with either arrow (very little difference in POI)!! SO it's obvious to me after testing both arrow's trajectory, that it's crazy NOT to go with the extra 150+ grains!

Your vids are awesome BTW. Much better than watching broadheads hit construction materials :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
I am a huge proponent of heavy arrows. I shoot 300 spine 5mm fmj with a 125grain head. My total arrow weight is about 550grains. My arrows are traveling 275fps and I shoot a 3 pin slider so trajectory past 40 isn't a big deal. I would rather deal with the trajectory of a slower heavy arrow because of that arrow being able to carry more energy further downrange. I strive for a passthrough everytime and a heavy arrow with a good foc and a razoraharp broadhead will accomplish it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts