Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In need of some help...im in the process of trying to set my wife up with a decently heavy arrow with good FOC for this upcoming deer season.

I've been playing around on OT2 punching in data on some arrows like the easton hexx and injexion in 480 spine, something I can add some weight up front pretty easy, and all I'm getting is an extremely stiff arrow for her setup.

She is shooting a new bowtech eva shockey at 44.5#, 24 1/4" draw length. She will probably end up going up a pound or two before deer season as well.

I guess my main concern and question is how stiff is too stiff? Will an arrow that's in the "red" on the chart on OT2 still tune well with a good two blade COC broadhead?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

·
wolfey
4,145 Posts
How much weight up front? What length arrow?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
My wife's set-up:

2014 Elite Spirit @ 24"/43 lbs

Victory RIP Elite 500 w/Easton aluminum HIT insert and 100 gr G5 Striker (324 gr total weight)

Pass through are the norm.....plus it allows her to maximize here sight tape on her MBG Ascent Pro so she can shoot events like TAC from the markers.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Somewhere around 55-75 for the insert and a 125 gr broadhead. (Or could do heavier if needed)

Her arrow length is 24 5/8 currently

·
wolfey
4,145 Posts
Try putting in a 600 spine axis and see what it says.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I'll give u my wifes arrow set up see if that helps you out any
She is shooting 58 lbs at 26 in dl
Black eagle renegade 350 spine
3 fletch bohning heat vane
Ethics 40 gr insert
Total weight is 401 gr with 16% foc

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I’ll prolly get blasted, but I think being overspined isn’t that big a deal. I have been shooting overspined arrows out of my compound for years. Now traditional shooting is a different story, I shot a heavier spine with my longbow and flight was awful.
For your help, my wife shoots 60# at 25” draw. She shoots a 540 total grain .340 spine arrow. She gets much of the weight from a 100 gr brass insert. Last year she shot a huge bodied buck with a 1.5” expandable. She hit him well and blew through him at 25 yards. She was shooting out of a ground blind, and if she hadn’t been shooting a lighted nock, I don’t think we would have ever found the arrow. It was at least 10 yards beyond the impact spot.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Somewhere around 55-75 for the insert and a 125 gr broadhead. (Or could do heavier if needed)

Her arrow length is 24 5/8 currently

Throw a 100 gr brass insert in & a 50gr fact screw in weight & see what that does. More weight will break down the arrow & the penetration will only go up. Keep her shots under 25 yards & she will be fine.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Throw a 100 gr brass insert in & a 50gr fact screw in weight & see what that does. More weight will break down the arrow & the penetration will only go up. Keep her shots under 25 yards & she will be fine.
Never heard of the fact weights until just now lol. That's pretty slick.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What gold tip shafts would y'all recommend that are decent and accept the weight system?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I use the Hunter pros, with 100 gr insert & 70 gr of fact insert. They make them for different diameter arrows though & you can most likely get them to fit what you have now.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
They make them in .166, .204 & .246. One of these should work for you.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They make them in .166, .204 & .246. One of these should work for you.
Awesome, thanks!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have my girlfriend running Axis 5mm 600 spine, 26” long, 50 grain half out with 200 grain point, 465 grains total with 19%FOC. These are lethal and I mean lethal... broadheads are 200 grain Cutthroats. What a combo. She’s shooting 42 lbs with a 25” DL.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have my girlfriend running Axis 5mm 600 spine, 26” long, 50 grain half out with 200 grain point, 465 grains total with 19%FOC. These are lethal and I mean lethal... broadheads are 200 grain Cutthroats. What a combo. She’s shooting 42 lbs with a 25” DL.
That's awesome! I have honestly been looking into the cutthroats for my wife but wasn't sure. (Never really messed with single bevel heads)

That arrow setup is about what I was trying to get setup for her. Did it tune well for you?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
That's awesome! I have honestly been looking into the cutthroats for my wife but wasn't sure. (Never really messed with single bevel heads)

That arrow setup is about what I was trying to get setup for her. Did it tune well for you?

You’ll want to bare shaft tune the arrows... depending on her draw length, poundage she’s pulling will effect the tune. What’s really cool is ethics archery makes a Ranch Fairy test kit to see which points will test the best. Do some research and if you have any questions shoot me a pm and I’ll help you out!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You’ll want to bare shaft tune the arrows... depending on her draw length, poundage she’s pulling will effect the tune. What’s really cool is ethics archery makes a Ranch Fairy test kit to see which points will test the best. Do some research and if you have any questions shoot me a pm and I’ll help you out!
Just looked it up. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
my wife shoots 45 lbs 24.5 DL and what works well for her are 26" black eagle outlaws, 500 spine, with 42 gr brass insert, plus 50 grain brass screw in weight and 125 hr heads. they arent fast but they are very effective.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts