Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a calculation. Or could someone give me an educated guess. I shoot an elite tempo 70 lbs DW. 32 “ DL. I’m shooting a GT hunter Xt 300. 9.2 gpi. Finished arrow 455grs. Shooting 300 fps. Question??? If I went to an x cutter or something similar at 7.2 gpi. How much speed would I expect to gain???

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Try backcountrybowhunting.com and plug in your numbers. These sights tend to be faster than actual chrono speeds.

·
Registered
931 Posts
For a quick calculation, I’ve used that for every +/- 5 grains of arrow weight, you will loose or gain 1 fps.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
Every bow is different as to what that average gain or loss will be across a large range of arrow weights. But for my bows 1fps for every 3.5gr of weight seems to work out the closest to reality with chrono speeds. So I'm guessing about a 30" arrow length for you and 2gpi lighter, so 60gr divided by 3.5 equals 17fps........or thereabouts.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
generally speaking,...the 1fps for every 5 gr. weight is about right, of course that was established quite a while ago and bow speeds have generally increased since then, so you might see a bigger gain in speed. the other thing to consider, is that today's cams are pretty harsh on the arrows and getting too light ( getting too far outside the "spine box", might give you some pretty wild flight.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I am thinking of shooting IBO. was wondering if it would make enough difference to be worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts