Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently shooting a PSE thunder flite Xpress @ 70# with ACC 3-39 @257FPS - What shaft can I change to to increase my FPS and pick up my impact wt. in maybe a bigger diameter shaft?:confused:

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
That arrow, depending on the length, is pretty light. Even if you go to a lighter shaft and shoot 5 grains your bow isn't going to gain a ton of speed, you aren't shooting a barn burner.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You can't have your cake and eat it too. A heavier shaft will increase kinetic energy (impact weight?) but will slow you down. A lighter shaft will increase speed, but you're already near the minimum weight of 5gr per pound.
It's all a trade off. The combination of weight and velocity is what creates the energy. Generally speaking, a little more weight and less speed will give you best results in the K.E. department. That combination will also be quieter, a big plus in my book.
Last week I saw a show with Chuck Adams speaking about this very topic. He said he doesn't care for super fast bows, but prefers a really quiet bow. His reasoning was that he always knows the distances from his tree stand, and given that info, he doesn't need a fast bow. In his opinion, the fast bows are great for 3D or when hunting in open areas where you can't judge the distance well, but not the best choice for most hunters. Hummm....isn't he a spokesman for Hoyt????

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my arrows are 26" and weigh 350 grs. I shot a big diameter carbon @266 fps mine are only going 257 fps is it impairitive to mantain the 350 grns. or can I go lighter with a stiffer spine?

·
Registered
167 Posts
srhdooba said:
my arrows are 26" and weigh 350 grs. I shot a big diameter carbon @266 fps mine are only going 257 fps is it impairitive to mantain the 350 grns. or can I go lighter with a stiffer spine?
The minimum is 5 grains per pound. At 70lbs., that equals 350gr total arrow weight....MINIMUM. You'll probably damage the bow if you go any lighter not to mention that it will even noiser than it is now. You have to decide what you want, a fast 3D bow or a hunting bow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts