Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Browning Eclipse FPS and the bow shop sold me some GoldTip expedition hunter 5575's. They are cut at 28.5 and I am shooting 100gr. tips. I believe the bow is somewhere between 64-67 lbs but am not sure. I know it feels harder to pull than my old HOYT at 67lbs. My problem is that I cannot get the arrows to group at all with broadheads. My fieldpoints shoot ok. I see some arrows hitting at different angles, I have also noticed some increase in POI to the left as I increase yardage as well as a lot of fishtailing of the arrows. I just had the bow tuned yesterday and it did not help with the broadheads at all. Are these arrows correctly spined? When looking at the chart, I am right on the edge of a 5575 and a 7595. Can I just take an inch or so off the end of the arrow (I have about 1.5-2 inches beyond the whisker bisquit) or do I need to get some stiffer arrows?

Thanks for the help,
Gene Cole III

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorrry, should have mentioned that the bow is used. I have shot it every afternoon for the past 3 weeks with at least 20 shots per day. I will continue shooting though and see what happens.

Thanks
Gene Cole III

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I think the 5575's are a bit weak for you.I shoot 5575 XT hunters off a 52# recurve and they fly great.You'd be better off with 7595's.If you can cut the 5575 down,it'll stiffen the shaft up.I wouldn't lop off a whole inch at first.I'd take a 1/4" off at a time,put the broadhead on and shoot and see how they fly.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
can you even take a 1/4 inch at a time off carbons? If you used epoxy to glue in the inserts then I'd think you'd have to cut off at least the length of the insert....

·
Bow Huntin' pure-n-simple
4,922 Posts
What kind of fletching do you have on your arrows ? If it's the GT vanes put on straight ,run don't walk and get some feathers put on at a helical .That was one of the issues :pukey: I had with the dozen Gold Tips I just bought but it did solve my broadhead flight problems real quick

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have the GT vanes on these arrows. However I shoot a whisker bisquit so feathers might be a problem. I have been thinking about putting either Blazers or QuikSpins on. Which one of these will work best with my setup? If QuickSpins, which length should I go with?

Thanks
Gene Cole III

·
Registered
69 Posts
Blazers

Use the blazers and make sure whoever fletches them puts a spot of glue on the tip. I would stay with the 5575s and if the blazer vanes dont help then you might try the 7595 arrow. I have set up several bows with wb's this way and havent had a problem with any of them comming back. I havent had very good luck with the quick spin vanes but that isint to say you wouldent. Good Luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had the shop guy where I bought it from look at it and we got it shooting great. Just needed the 7595's. Turned out it was actually set at 72lbs. I am now getting BH groups that are causing cut up fletchings. Thanks for the help.

Thanks
Gene Cole III

1 - 9 of 9 Posts