Archery Talk Forum banner

arrow spine question

477 Views 6 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  kjwhfsd
I know this gets asked a lot, and I looked into it and I think my buddy is right on the border. Here's the siutation. He'll shoot fine for a round or two then all of the sudden he'll get a round of fliers. He just put new cams on so I would imagine the bow shop tuned it, but I'm not positive. I measured the specs and the ata and brace height are dead on.

He's shooting a Mathews LX (no that's not the issue :wink:) 28.5 inch draw length set around 62 lbs (I think. It was around 66 and we backed it down 2 turns to see if that would help, but it didn't). He shooting a 29 inch (not counting nock and field tip) Easton Axis 400's with a 100 grain tip. Is this ok? I think the 340's would be better but I'm not sure.

Do you have any other ideas if he's spined correctly? I don't think he's getting fletching contact.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8,662 Posts
To be real accurate I need. What rest? How does he release (fingers, off the string, string loop)? What fletch?

· Registered
1,485 Posts
My first impression is that if he shoots well for a few rounds, and then gets flyers, it's not the bow. The bow didn't change, the arrows didn't change. The only change is him. His arms are getting tired.

· Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's shooting a release and a prong style rest, but I don't know what brand. He shoots a D loop and 3 four inch fletching, but I don't know what brand.

He only shot about 10 rounds of 3 arrows so I don't think it's fatigue. He bought this bow from me last year and just put new cams on it because the draw length was too short so he's never had it set up for him til now.

· Registered
8,662 Posts
Ok Since you didnt give the info asked. If he shoots with a loop on the string he ia slightly weak. If he shoots with the release on the string he is verry weak. He needs to be shooting 340's. As for the fliers its him not the arrows or bow.

· Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did answer, he shoots a D with a release.

If your arrows are weak, wouldn't that give you erratic flight with different points of impact? I'm not saying it's not him, I have no idea. He said he didn't shoot his last bow like this. Maybe he's just not used to the Mathews grip and he's gripping it inconsistely. Thanks for the input though.

· Registered
8,662 Posts
Sorry I missed the d loop. I would say that it is the grip. That is the only thing bad I have to say about Mathews is there grip is very torky they are getting better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.