Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't usually have to ask about an arrow selection as I usually shoot the same draw weight. I have an Elite Synergy on the way though. I will be setting it to a 65lb draw weight. I currently have plenty of Carbon Express CX200's cut to 27 inches with inserts and 100 grain points. I shoot a 28 inch draw length. Will these arrows be the right stiffness for this setup? Those that have TAP or something please check for me. I could also use 85 grain tips in them if it would help. If nothing else I could get some stiffer arrows but would like to make these work.

·
U.P. Hunter
4,539 Posts
According to OT2 the CX200's are off the charts weak even with an 85gr. tip. CX400's cut to 27.5" and 100gr. tip or CX Maxima 350's at 27", 100gr. tip are right on the money.

FF

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow that is a suprise. The forms from Carbon express put them at the transition point for hunting. I am currently shooting them out of the 60lb Hoyt AM32 and they seem to do well there. I always figured the 200's were set up for 60lb bows and the 300's were appropriate for something closer to 70lb. Thanks for the input. More input is welcome. Anyone with software please feel free to put in your two bits.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Using pinwheel software you still showing up as weak.

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it show as far off as On Target 2? I just can't imagine needing a CX400 for a 65lb draw weight and 27 inch arrow.

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While we are at it what is the spine of the CX arrows a 200 is what spine? A 300 is what spine? I have always known this for the Easton arrows but never for those companies that use the 100 200 300 400 systems.

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do these arrow software programs select toward stiffer arrows. I found where the CX300 arrows carry a spine of .350. Even Easton software would not show anything close to a CX400 at 27 inches of arrow length. They show a .400 spine for 65lb draw weight and quite a few pounds beyond that.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Yes - some the newer programs lean towards stiffer arrows. TAP seems to have the best one, based on what he recommends compared to what I have learned the hard way from extensive bare shaft tuning.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
The static spine for cx--200 is listed as .458 in ontarget2.

I do not see the vane you use lited and the chart has your current arrow pegged on the weak side.
300's would be according to the chart.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The Carbon Express chart says you can use CX200's with arrows cut at 27" with a 63 to 69 draw weight. But I would go to at lease the CX250's.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Out of curiosity, when looking at the carbon expres cat. does it tell you how much point weight to use. Maybe if you use larger vanes and lighter point.
But will a 5" vane and 50 grain point will get closer ?
Ontarget2 moves it just 1 point cloer but till weak.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
The Carbon Express chart says you can use CX200's with arrows cut at 27" with a 63 to 69 draw weight. But I would go to at lease the CX250's.
That chart requires you to use the form and arrive and a 'Calculated or Modified draw weight....NOT what the bow scale reads!

With that in mind.....the 200 is indeed way weak for that bow. The 300 is marginal weak and the 400 is stiff. Ideal spine is a .340 for your setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
849 Posts
Is TAP something I have to download? I would like to run my specs through. I am shooting the CX200 @26.5" with a 100gr tip from a Martin Slayer set to 67lbs @ 27 3/4". It sounds like I may be on the weak side as well. Arrrg, I just bought some easton flatline 400's.

·
Registered
11,708 Posts
I purchased TAP through Lancaster. You get the code and download it. I'm still playin' with it. More fun than readin' some of the more boring posts here on AT...sure better than what is on most tv channels.

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To those who have replied thanks. It has been informative and I hope for others as well. I knew with the manufacturer charts on the fence it would likely show the heavier arrow as the choice and that makes sense to me. I will likely go with a CX 300 or something from Easton that is more in line. I am sure you can stretch shooting the 200's up to close to 60lb but past that as this bow will be it would be impossible. Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts