Registered
76 Posts
Spine

Thanks for the post-

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks for the information.

Question: Would it be possible to cover up a weak arrow with an off-center rest (or vice versa)? Not that you would want to do this intentially. Its just that I had a setup that I was having difficultiy tuning. I ended up trying a weaker arrow that was actually off the chart weak for my setup and groups got better and for the first time bare shafts and BHs hit with FP - out to 45 yds. Now I am wondering if I had two wrongs working together.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aggie94 said:
Thanks for the information.

Question: Would it be possible to cover up a weak arrow with an off-center rest (or vice versa)? Not that you would want to do this intentially. Its just that I had a setup that I was having difficultiy tuning. I ended up trying a weaker arrow that was actually off the chart weak for my setup and groups got better and for the first time bare shafts and BHs hit with FP - out to 45 yds. Now I am wondering if I had two wrongs working together.
yes... but does it really matter if you have good arrow flight and accuracy? Maybe your bow is just not as efficent as the charts advise... or you have a lot of hand torque... A weak arrow will hide many faults for a release shooter.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Javi,

You have done it again. Great article. I already added it to my "Bible".

·
Registered
348 Posts
JAVI said:
yes... but does it really matter if you have good arrow flight and accuracy? Maybe your bow is just not as efficent as the charts advise... or you have a lot of hand torque... A weak arrow will hide many faults for a release shooter.
I'm not sure I catch the point of the question. Sorry to be dense, but I'm not sure if its being sarchastic or not. So let me ask you, DOES it matter? I tend to think it does. (But I have been accused of being a perfectionist before - not that I can achieve it, but I'm determined to, whether I can or not).

Also, it is interesting that you say a weak arrow may cover up faults. I would have thought a weak arrow would be more likely to highlight issues such as imperfect form. But this seems more likely, since my results improved with a weaker arrow.

Anyway, if my bow is inefficient - well, c'est la vie. But I don't want to hide my faults. OK, maybe I want to hide my faults from the rest of the world, but I at least want to know what they are so I can try to correct them.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aggie94 said:
I'm not sure I catch the point of the question. Sorry to be dense, but I'm not sure if its being sarchastic or not. So let me ask you, DOES it matter? I tend to think it does. (But I have been accused of being a perfectionist before - not that I can achieve it, but I'm determined to, whether I can or not).

Also, it is interesting that you say a weak arrow may cover up faults. I would have thought a weak arrow would be more likely to highlight issues such as imperfect form. But this seems more likely, since my results improved with a weaker arrow.

Anyway, if my bow is inefficient - well, c'est la vie. But I don't want to hide my faults. OK, maybe I want to hide my faults from the rest of the world, but I at least want to know what they are so I can try to correct them.
You really are an Aggie aren’t you…???? :D

That wasn’t sarcastic… If you have great arrow flight, and accuracy why would it matter…

As to the efficiency of your particular bow, there are many things that can effect that, including string load and speed. And sometimes the charts are just wrong, especially now that many bow companies are fudging the DL of their bows to get better IBO speed ratings.

In the end the proof is in the results… and again if you have great arrow flight and accuracy…. Why worry?

As to your faults... a stiff arrow will magnify a bad grip more than a weak arrow every time... Good Lord... I'm not saying you have faults, I'm sure you are perfect... after all you are an AGGIE....:mg:

Hook em Horns….:thumbs_up

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey, I need to let you talk to my wife. She's not convinced I'm perfect. :angel:

But you still confuse me. You live in Waco. You understand Aggies are incapable of mistakes, and yet you say hook 'em horns (ouch, that was hard to write) while giving the Gig 'Em sign :thumbs_up

Anyway, my perfectionism aside, I guess I was content to leave well enough alone. But then I didn't get drawn for any hunts this year, so I decided to make some changes I've been putting off. I lengthened my DL 1/2 inch and put a new string on. So I'm kind of starting over on the tuning and my old arrows are a bit short for my comfort. Now I'm not sure whether to go with the chart, or weak like before.

Thanks for the insight, Javi.

Gig 'Em, Ags :thumbs_up

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aggie94 said:
Hey, I need to let you talk to my wife. She's not convinced I'm perfect. :angel:

But you still confuse me. You live in Waco. You understand Aggies are incapable of mistakes, and yet you say hook 'em horns (ouch, that was hard to write) while giving the Gig 'Em sign :thumbs_up

Anyway, my perfectionism aside, I guess I was content to leave well enough alone. But then I didn't get drawn for any hunts this year, so I decided to make some changes I've been putting off. I lengthened my DL 1/2 inch and put a new string on. So I'm kind of starting over on the tuning and my old arrows are a bit short for my comfort. Now I'm not sure whether to go with the chart, or weak like before.

Thanks for the insight, Javi.

Gig 'Em, Ags :thumbs_up
My son in law is an Aggie... (the shame of it all):mg:

Send me your info and I'll see what I can come up with, that'll get you close enough to start properly tuning the spine. And if you want I'll pm you my number and maybe I can explain it a bit better...

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'll take all the help I can get...

2003 Martin Phantom II, Fuzion cam
Staight limbs (not the magnum)
30" DL
Awesome looking maroon and white bucknasty strings (sorry, couldn't resist).
64 lbs
release, D loop, tru fletch peep, cat whiskers

At 29.5" DL, I was shooting 29" Easton Excel 400s with 100 grain tip and 4" feathers.

Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts