Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently shooting a bowtech reign 7 that is 50-60 pounds. I am selling it to buy a pse evolve which will be 60-70 pounds. I am wondering if 400 spine arrows will be too light?

·
Premium Member
Reckoning 35 for 3D, RealmX for hunt, PSE SupraFocusXL for spot . Axcel, ARC release, Victory.
2,121 Posts
Yes they are slightly too light if Your arrow length is more than 24"
Go to 300-350, depending on length of an arrow and weight of the tip that U' use.

·
Hunter of many things
12,155 Posts
I am currently shooting a bowtech reign 7 that is 50-60 pounds. I am selling it to buy a pse evolve which will be 60-70 pounds. I am wondering if 400 spine arrows will be too light?
A 10# range doesnt help us much. Can you get a little closer with your DW? How long are your arrows, how much weight up front?

·
Registered
9,891 Posts
OP, take a look at the Gold Tip arrow spine selection chart (doesn't matter which brand arrow you shoot, same theory). You will see two charts, one for a slow bow and one for a fast bow. You will be using the fast one. Notice they have 3 vertical columns for point weight (100, 125, and 150). All the columns to the right are your arrow cut length (NOT your draw length). If you are shooting a fixed broad head, stay away from the weak recommendations, they are for field points. Find where your draw weight, arrow length and point weight intersect!

·
Registered
176 Posts
ON the Gold Tip chart is the IBO speed the actual speed of the arrow or the advertised IBO speed? I'm shooting a Prime RIze 50-60# bow but the actual draw wt is 64. Should I shoot it through a chronometer and get the actual speed?

·
(aka lug nut)
49,675 Posts
ON the Gold Tip chart is the IBO speed the actual speed of the arrow or the advertised IBO speed? I'm shooting a Prime RIze 50-60# bow but the actual draw wt is 64. Should I shoot it through a chronometer and get the actual speed?
https://www.goldtip.com/Resources/Spine-Chart.aspx

This chart has the draw weight on the left vertical column. Pick the point weight, either 100 grains or 125 grains or 150 grains. Then, you have to pick a row. Each row is a 5 lb draw weight range. Since your actual draw weight is 64#, then, you select the 60-64 lb row. The chart tells you the arrow length and the spine rating to use, for that arrow length. This chart is for compound bows with a IBO speed rating of 315 fps or SLOWER.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,675 Posts
https://www.goldtip.com/Resources/Spine-Chart.aspx

IBO speed is IBO speed. It is the IBO speed rating, meaning the bow is set at 30-inches of draw length, there is nothing on the bowstring, and the arrow is barebones, and the bow is set at 70 lbs...sorta. Might be a bit more than 70 lbs. Might be a bit more than 30-inches of draw length. IBO speed rating tests allows you fudge the draw length a little on the LONG side, and IBO speed rating tests allow you to fudge a little HEAVY on the draw weight side.

This chart has the draw weight on the left vertical column. Pick the point weight, either 100 grains or 125 grains or 150 grains. Then, you have to pick a row. Each row is a 5 lb draw weight range. Since your actual draw weight is 64#, then, you select the 60-64 lb row. The chart tells you the arrow length and the spine rating to use, for that arrow length. This chart is for compound bows with a IBO speed rating of 315 fps or FASTER.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,675 Posts
Prime Rize has an IBO Speed Rating of 335 fps. Use this chart. Since you are going to use the 60-64 row, then, if your arrow is 27-inches long, use a 400 spine arrow with a 100 grain point. If your arrow is 28-inches long, use the 340 spine arrow with the 100 grain point. If your arrow is 29-inches long, use the 340 spine arrow with the 100 grain point. If your arrow is 30-inches long, use the 300 spine arrow with the 100 grain point.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts