Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand the relationship between my bow and the proper arrow,Or how to find it.

Can you point me in the direction of a web site that can teach me something on the subject. Thanks

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Arrows have "spine",driveshafts have"spline".

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Please don't say that word again. Us people with OCD cringe to the point of the filings in our teeth hurting like someone drug their fingernails across a chalk board to hear this word used in the same sentence as arrow shaft. It's SPINE not SPLINE. People saying they use "tips" instead of points on their arrows also has the same effect for me. :wink: I think I'll go take my meds now. :p Spine refers to the degree of stiffness of an arrow shaft.

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
Arrows have "spine",driveshafts have"spline".
I found it interesting when the guy that hosts Western Extreme was talking about staggering fletching during his show that aired the other night referred to it as "spline" as well.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Any of the arrow manufacturers and most of the big online retailers will have spine recommendation charts. Usually the lower the number the stiffer the spine (340 is stiffer than 400, 400 is stiffer than 500...) In general the heavier the draw weight on your bow the stiffer your arrows should be. Variables include type of bow, point weight, arrow length, and tune. Lot's of people get all worked up over spine, but with modern compounds it's pretty tough to be over spined or too stiff (IMO). Especially when shooting fixed blade broadheads. The charts should get you close, but if in doubt or if you are on the line between two spines according to the chart, go with the stiffer one.

I found it interesting when the guy that hosts Western Extreme was talking about staggering fletching during his show that aired the other night referred to it as "spline" as well.
I had a guy working in a Pro shop once say to me "I just call it spline, it's what I've always called it." Pretty common error, but come on! Once you know the difference and continue to use the improper word?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Spline can refer to:

Spline (mechanical), a mating feature for rotating elements
Spline (mathematics), a mathematical function used for interpolation or smoothing
Smoothing spline, a method of smoothing using a spline function
Flat spline, a device to draw curves
Spline drive, a type of screw drive
Spline (alien beings), fictional alien beings
Spline cord, a type of thin rubber cord used to secure a window screen to its frame
Spline, otherwise known as Star filler, is a type of plastic cable filler for CAT cable.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
One more reason not to believe everything you see on TV. I have never found "reality" TV to be real and just because you have the facilities to be on TV or famous doesn't mean you are creditable. I am sure that like me, most of you have cringed while watching some of the hunting shows. Poor shot angles, long distance shots, lack of penetration, etc....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts