Archery Talk Forum banner

Arrow Suggestion for Lower poundage

997 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  *ProLine*
I've always shot mid 60 pounds, but I'm reducing my draw weight to around 55 or 56 pounds due to shoulder problems. I know arrow combinations that work with most Hoyts setup in the low 60 to mid 60 pound range, but I need some suggestions for arrows to try at 56 pounds.

I need the arrow to weigh around 280 to 290 grains in order to get the speed I desire. I prefer 80 to 90 grains of tip weight, b ut I will go as low as 70 grains in the tip. I typically like the 2 to 3 inch vane lengths which weigh about 4.5 to 5 grains each. The bow is a Proelite with C2 cams at 28 1/2 inch draw length.

I have plugged the data into TAP, but I want to see if anyone out there shooting a silmilar setup can give me some of the arrow configurations?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I do not mind having the arrow barely hand over the rest. I like to have at least 1/4 inch hand over or so. 27 1/4 inch shaft is about as short as I can go with the way my rest sits on my bow. I played around with different point weights, but yes .5 spine was one that was good according to TAP and one of the point weight configs I used.

Any suggestions?

· Registered
513 Posts
easton lightspeeds

my son uses an easton lightspeed 500 with 75 grain screw ins. His are 25" with blazers they weigh about 290, add the 2.5 inches of shaft and lose the insert(shoot glue ins) you should be right around 290.
Check Gold Tips website you they have an arrrow weight calculator on there.

· Registered
646 Posts
GT ultralight pros / XT's, lightspeeds and CT cheetahs will easily meet your requirements in 500 spine, and still let you use a reasonable tip weight. Run them as short as comfortable to keep the spine on the stiff side and youll be right as rain.

· Registered
447 Posts
Carbon Express Rebel Hunter FOC 4560s

· Registered
34,533 Posts
I've always shot mid 60 pounds, but I'm reducing my draw weight to around 55 or 56 pounds due to shoulder problems. I know arrow combinations that work with most Hoyts setup in the low 60 to mid 60 pound range, but I need some suggestions for arrows to try at 56 pounds.

I need the arrow to weigh around 280 to 290 grains in order to get the speed I desire. I prefer 80 to 90 grains of tip weight, b ut I will go as low as 70 grains in the tip. I typically like the 2 to 3 inch vane lengths which weigh about 4.5 to 5 grains each. The bow is a Proelite with C2 cams at 28 1/2 inch draw length.

I have plugged the data into TAP, but I want to see if anyone out there shooting a silmilar setup can give me some of the arrow configurations?
Why do you "Need" your arrows to weigh that much? I also wouldn't be set on point weight before the arrow build either.:wink:

What venue are you shooting?

I would go with the point weight that gives me the FOC that gives the best grouping.....and also go to a lighter vane. 5 grains for a 2-3" vane is VERY heavy.

Spine wise you will need to be in the 480 range more then likely. TAP or OT2 will give you the info needed and I would go with that and not think about it much.

The last PE I setup had 28" C2s...with 3000s. 59lbs.....344 grain arrow 274 fps.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why do you "Need" your arrows to weigh that much? I also wouldn't be set on point weight before the arrow build either.:wink:

What venue are you shooting?

arrow weight to keep me at a minimum 5 grains per pound. I shoot some IBO, but I prefer not to go below 5 grains/pound even if I did not shoot IBO.

I would go with the point weight that gives me the FOC that gives the best grouping The point weight just comes from my past experience with point weight to desired FOB. I've never acheived as successful groups with point weights less than 70. More times than not, 80 to 90 grain point weights give me the best groups and equate to a 7 to 10 % FOB. (This is considering the arrows I've always setup for mid 60 pound bows though.) .....and also go to a lighter vane. 5 grains for a 2-3" vane is VERY heavy.I like the 2 1/2" Flex Fletch vanes, and they weigh 4.5 grains each. (I rounded it up to 5 grains.)

Spine wise you will need to be in the 480 range more then likely. TAP or OT2 will give you the info needed and I would go with that and not think about it much. I checked TAP, and it shows about a .5 spine. But, there are many .5 spine selections which are not too familar to me. Thus, I wanted to see some realistic field trial suggestions.

The last PE I setup had 28" C2s...with 3000s. 59lbs.....344 grain arrow 274 fps.
Mine is a 28.5 (Actually measure to 28.75) C2 with XT2000 limbs. It chronies 289 fps at 5 grains per pound, but that's with an arrow spined extremely heavy for 56 pounds. Now that I've found the comfortable weight to shoot, I want to find the best arrow for my setup for grouping purposes. Skinny versus fat shafts do not matter as much to me as grouping.

· Registered
34,533 Posts
Mine is a 28.5 (Actually measure to 28.75) C2 with XT2000 limbs. It chronies 289 fps at 5 grains per pound, but that's with an arrow spined extremely heavy for 56 pounds. Now that I've found the comfortable weight to shoot, I want to find the best arrow for my setup for grouping purposes. Skinny versus fat shafts do not matter as much to me as grouping.
Your bow isn't a "barn burner"...so shooting 5 grains to get the "extra speed" isn't really going to make a difference. If you are going to shoot a Pro Elite then you might as well just shoot a perfect arrow setup in the 280 (ASA) range. Going from 282 or so up to 290 will gain you ZERO on the range:wink: there isn't enough difference in that speed to matter really.

If you want to shoot 5 grains anyway then shoot a high end arrow like a Nano, ACE or McKinney II and then you will see a difference in the arrow groupings. :)

As for your arrow being super stiff....that means nothing either. Your bow isn't going to get faster shooting the same weight arrow that is spined better.:)

I know you are shooting 3D...but I promise if you go to a properly spined arrow and bump your FOC up above the range you are in now....your grouping will get even better. I shoot in the 12-15% range usually:wink: But like you said....grouping is what is important. So get away from being set in point weight. Go to a point weight that keeps your arrow spined correctly and gives you a good FOC :thumb:

Also I would suggest trying a different size FF if you are shooting target outdoors....there is no need for all that vane that you are getting with the 250. I prefer to use nothing bigger then 200...and 99% of the time I have 187s on my arrows:wink:

As for your setup now.....I would say that your cam rotation is off a little. At 5 grains and with a 28.75" draw and with 2000s your bow should be faster then it is now. Hoyt underestimates the speed a little:wink: I have a buddy that had his PE setup the same as yours (another .25" in draw though)....but with an arrow that was well over 5 grains....he was in the mid 280 :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.