Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,
I am considering following arrow configuration: QS3"+AFMJ 31" + fixed (3) blade 100gn. This is going to be shot at abt 300FPS. I am worried that QS1.5" might not be enough to give a proper rotation to the arrow. What's your experience?

Brgds

·
Registered
72 Posts
Caution as you go lighter, your bow noise and vibration will go up! And no arrow speed will get to the deer before the noise. Sound travels at 1080 FPS....and the difference between 280FPS, and 300FPS at 60 yards if you misjudge by five yards is only an inch difference due to the speed. In other words, if you shoot 280FPS, think the target is 55 yds and miss by 5 yards, (60 yds) the arrow will fall 7.5 inches; if you shoot 300FPS, think the target is 55 yds and miss by 5 yards, (60 yds) the arrow will fall 6.5 inches. Go for the quiet! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well,
The question is about the fletching size for the certain type of broadhead. I am familiar with the subject of speed and momentum, no worries ;)
I am going to assemble the arrows using QuikSpin 3", NAP Thunderhead and the Axis Full Metal Jacket shafts. This is a quite heavy combination, above 500 grains. The thing is that fixed blade broadheads require more rotations of the shaft than the expandable broadheads (or target tips) to have the arrow stabilized during the flight time. In other case the arrows won't group. On the other side if the fletching is too big the arrow is more sensitible to a drag forces created by a crosswind.
As the speed of the arrow is related with shaft circulation (the faster the shaft moves the bigger spin movement we get) i gave approximated speed of the arrow.
Sorry for the abbreviations above, i thought it will be clear enough :) Anyway, i am going to test above setup this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts