Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently just purchased a 70 # guardian at a 29 in draw. So i upgraded my arrows to some that are 9.3 gpi. Yet my old bow was only set at 60 lbs so i have a number of old arrows at 8.4 gpi. I was wondering if it would hurt the bow just to use the lighter arrows once in a while with the guardian. Not for any large animals. Just if i wanted to fling some arrows at squirrels or what not.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
8.4 gpi at 29" with fletching, a nock, and a 100 grain tip should put you at around 365 grain, depending on the fletching and nock, so you'd be fine weight-wise shooting them. The only question is if they're spined correctly.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
As long as it's around 5 gr per pound it will be Ok and if you shoot 60 to 70 pound you well blow through any deer out there with a good hit and fixed broad heads. My arrow have been around 6 gpi for years and I blow through every think up to elk 100 %. Even through a couple of bucks shoulder blades. My bow now has around 6.2 gpi with 75 lb of KE and .521 momentum and at 40 yards still has 69 lb of KE and .502 momentum. That can blow through just about any game out there. Heck that will shoot through my truck door.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input so far. I forgot to mention before that the spines are different. one is 340 and the other is 400.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
You should be pretty much fine all around, especially for what you mention.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The sweet spot in my 400s Axis at 28 inches is 66 lbs At 29 inch draw and 70 lbs you will need to go with 340

1 - 7 of 7 Posts