Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you determine the length and weight of the arrow you should shoot? I shoot 28" at 60 lbs and my wife shoots 23" at 40lbs. New to shooting and trying to decide the right and safest way to shoot for us.

Thanks
Jeremy

9,026 Posts
That depends on what you want to do with archery...target or hunting. By the way...welcome to AT and also to a great sport!!! I shoot target and hunt. For target, I try to build an arrow to fit a bow to maximize the efficiency of my equipment. And, speed is a limiting factor in ASA tournaments so weight becomes critical. I really like shooting target at 60 lbs and so with a 28 inch draw I need to get an arrow in the 315-320 grain department in order not to exceed the 290 + or - 3% limitation that I have in my class...and I can adjust that several different ways either by adding or subtracting weight at the front of the arrow or by cutting the arrow at different lengths. I need to take into account spine which is the bendability of the arrow and match all of the components so I do not get either get too light or heavy up front....because that will change the balance point of the arrow. For target I like to stay around 9% Forward of Center (FOC) but can go lighter. There really is no reason to go heavier as I am not looking for penetration...just a balanced arrow. Now, for hunting that is different. I want a balance point closer to the tip of the arrow which will make the arrow more efficient at impact...it will have less flexing moment and that is really good. I currently run 11-12% FOC for whitetails but would go heavier up front to achieve a 14-16% FOC if I were to go after something really big. WOW!...there is a lot to the little game and it is interesting. Hope I did not bore you. Have a great night! Cheers!
Fred

1 - 2 of 2 Posts