Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about elk hunting arrows. I am shooting a PSE Baby-g with Trophy tacker fall away rest. Shooting PSE extream 300's with a 125gr 3 blade Muzzy my FOC is around 14%. I have a question about arrow weight my arrows with the weight tubes are 488gr total and have been shooting around 280 fps but at longer range they drop off fast if I take out the weight tubes they should be around 425gr total will that be heavy enough for good penitration at longer range like 45yds. Or will not make much difference? Would swithing to a 100gr head make any differance or will this mess up my FOC to much?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
The heavier arrows will retain speed better down range -- so if you trying to get them to not "drop off" so fast, going to lighter arrows probably won't do it; you'll pick up speed at the beginning but it will drop off more later.

If your numbers are right you are pushing a LOT of energy -- 488 grains at 280 is 85 ft-lb. ; that seems like plenty to me, so I wouldn't worry about losing a little by going to a lighter arrow.

If I were you, I think I'd leave it alone -- 280 is plenty fast; you won't see a huge difference in trajectory between that and 290 or even 300.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Go with the heavier arrow weight. If you want to loose some weight then go with a lighter head.

Don't be so concerned with distance. I've shot two elk with a recurve and no sights. My average distance was 16 yards. You should be able to get close enough to get a good shot. Worry about having enough arrow weight to hit them hard. Remember an elk is the size of a house. They are huge and have a very large kill zone. The other thing to remember is that they have very thick hide.

This year my set up will be a compound. I'm shooting 72# and a 2315's @ 28 inches. I'm not sure what the speed and weight is on this setup. I'm more worried about having the weight behind the head to push through.

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
729 Posts
I agree that the heavier arrow set up would work best!

Most people find that when pushing your bow/arrow combination to the limit it is much harder to shoot. I'd stick with the heavy setup-it's plenty fast.----a slow hit is better than a fast miss--->

Although thats just my opinon.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
No doubt you have plenty of energy. Keep it heavy. What you have is like shooting a spear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts