Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe someone out there can answer my question. I have a Diamond Triumph 67# @ 28" and I'm getting 260fps with my current 450 grain arrows. I also have 540 grain arrows that I get 243fps with. That makes about 2 ftlbs of kinetic energy difference so I'm not too worried about that. My question is if there is a point of diminishing return in the weight of an arrow effecting the noise of the bow. When I shoot both arrows no one notices a difference in sound between the 2. I would have thought that 90 grains would make a difference but I can't tell myself either. What gives?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The main diffrence I can see will be in your trajectory. As far as noise is concerned too light of an arrow will not be able too absorb all the vibration from the string and excess bow energy. If your not hearing a diffrence the 450gr arrow might be doing a fine job as it is in absorbing the energy. I not sure what you hunt or the ranges you shoot, myself I try to find a middle ground with good speed and KE. This has never let me down as far as killing an Elk or Mulie. Good luck! I hope this helps!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I agree, your arrows are at critical mass, you are at the point of diminishing returns. The difference in the 450 and 540 grain noise level is so small as not to be noticable because the 450 grain arrow is already using most of the energy anyway; the 540 grain arrow, relative to overall stored energy, is just using up a smaller percentage.

You can get to the point of zero noise. That is where your arrow matches exactly the stored energy, but when you dump the string neither the arrow nor the string would move, but it would be quiet!

If you measured both under controled conditions you would be able to tell the difference, but I would just shoot the faster (and almost as quiet) arrow and let it eat.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
From my traditional days I recall a guy who used solid fibergalss fishing arrows for moose hunting. He had some 80# longbow he used. He only got 140 fps but didn't shoot over 20 yards. He claimed that he could shoot a sharp two blade through a moose, front to back. I believe that this was over-done. However, I don't think that 9 grains per pound is too much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts