Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got to thinking...
Common archery knowledge states to maintain a certain arrow weight so your bow will not void warranty. I am not overly knowledgeable about crossbows but I have seen bolts. They are tiny most under 20" from what I have seen and read. From what I can tell. The limbs on a crossbow are made of the same material as modern bows. So what gives?

I understand that the draw length is different. I also understand some limbs are shorter on crossbows. But given the same material I just don't get it?

Why can you shoot a tiny bolt and the limbs won't explode out of a crossbow? Just being curious.

·
Registered
29 Posts
the bolts are shorter but they have a bigger diameter and weight more.the bolts weight at least 400 grains.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Oh, they do grasshopper, they do!! One of the reasons not as much is the "cannot shoot unless there is an arrow in place" safty. Its called an anti dry fire safty, and that has saved a lot of crossbows. Also most of the crossbow shooters are using a heavy shaft 420grs or more in 20". That equats out to 21grs per inch, and you are shooting the same weight in a 29-30 inch arrow! Of course break it down and it shoots per lbs only 2.8grs per lbs on a 150lbs of crossbow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts