Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a general rule of thumb for the weight of your hunting arrows; specifically deer sized game?

Thanks Rudy

·
Registered
754 Posts
It depends on the DW of the Bow, I like Easton Axis N-Fused arrows, 50# Bow 500 spine (8.1gpi.) 60# Bow 400 spine (9gpi) 70# Bow 340 spine (9.5gpi). My 27" Axis 500 arrow with a 100 grain tip weighs 362 grains (52# DW). My son's 28" Axis 400 arrow with 100 grain tip weighs 395 grains (64# DW).

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Like stated above it all just depends, i like having between 375-425 grains. Good luck!

·
Registered
566 Posts
28" Beman ICS Hunter 9.3 gpi, nockturnal, 6" arrow wrap with 4 vane 2" blazers with a 100 grain head. 432 grain arrow for me!!! along with 286 fps at 78 lbs of KE.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I like to shoot about 6.5 grains per pound. Always found it to be a good happy medium for my setups.

·
Registered
754 Posts
What would you say for 25 inch draw/70 pound bow??
I would not go too short with my arrow, probaly 26" and 340 spine the 340 Axis is 9.5gpi for the Black arrows, but if you wanted a little more weight the Axis 340 Camo arrows are 10.3 gpi. A 26" Axis 340 spine arrow with 100 grain tip will weigh 390 grains. The Axis 340 spine Camo with 100 grain tip will weigh 410.8 grains.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well here's my set up: Pearson Pride 65lbs / 28.5" DL / 100 grain slick tricks

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
It really depends on a number of factors. However, if you are looking for opinions on an acceptable minimum weight for deer sized game I would say something approaching 350 grains. I personally like an arrow in the 375-400 grain range, but have killed deer with arrows as light as 325.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
well here's my set up: Pearson Pride 65lbs / 28.5" DL / 100 grain slick tricks
You certainly do not want to go lighter than 325, as that is 5 grains per pound. Anything less will void your bows warranty. I would still recommend something 350 grains or heavier myself though, but with slick tricks you could probably get away with lighter.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
This is a little off topic, and I'm not tyring to hijack this thread. But I was actually just thinking about my arrow weight today and I was wondering, Anyone know how much an insert weighs and also what about a nock?

I shoot 70lbs and the Beman 340s (9.3g per inch) but I was wondering how much those two items typically weighed.......

·
Registered
574 Posts
Total weight, just off the top of my head.....

Roughly 375-475gr with fixed blade heads. Add roughly 50 gr (425-525) for mechanicals. That's for a 60 lb bow.

Add maybe 30-40 gr to that for a 50 lb bow, and subtract 30-40 gr for a 70 lb bow (though I wouldn't subtract any for a mechanical myself)

Add 100 or so for elk. Or, add 150 or so for big boar hogs.

My .02 / unscientific guesses / opinions.

I'm using a 720 gr arrow this year, but there's tracks indicating boars in excess of 200 lbs; maybe over 300 lbs. Downward angle shots from a tree stand typically encounter the gristle plate on the way to the vitals.

But it also depends upon how much you like or dislike tracking, I suppose - I hate it, so I want massive hemmohraging exit holes, even with bone hits.

A regular aluminum insert is typically around 15 grains. Most nocks are around 12 grains, but can be more or less.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
This is a little off topic, and I'm not tyring to hijack this thread. But I was actually just thinking about my arrow weight today and I was wondering, Anyone know how much an insert weighs and also what about a nock?

I shoot 70lbs and the Beman 340s (9.3g per inch) but I was wondering how much those two items typically weighed.......
That depends on the type of nock and insert, but around 15 grains each. My goldtip inserts are 15 grains and the Easton nocks I use weigh 12 grains. But you can find heavier or lighter ones...

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
5.5 to 6.5 gpp

·
Registered
754 Posts

The arrows I shoot Easton Axis N-Fused, X nock weighs 9 grains and (HIT) insert weighs 16 grains. I also shoot Easton Epic N-Fused arrows H nock weighs 9 grains and insert weight 23 grains. As you can see it varies from arrow to arrow.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
That depends on the type of nock and insert, but around 15 grains each. My goldtip inserts are 15 grains and the Easton nocks I use weigh 12 grains. But you can find heavier or lighter ones...
The arrows I shoot Easton Axis N-Fused, X nock weighs 9 grains and (HIT) insert weighs 16 grains. I also shoot Easton Epic N-Fused arrows H nock weighs 9 grains and insert weight 23 grains. As you can see it varies from arrow to arrow.
Thanks, so 25-30 grains for the nok and insert is probably a good round estimate......

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
It is not arrow weight you should be looking for it is the KE of you arrow.

Weight of arrow is just a part of the equation to make sure it is enough for the game you are after. KE is calculated by: velocity x velocity x total arrow weight (in grains) divided by 450,240

KE- Hunting Usage from http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/penetration/index.cfm

< 25 ft. lbs. Small Game

25-41 ft. lbs. Medium Game (deer, antelope, etc.)

42-65 ft. lbs. Large Game (elk, black bear, wild boar, etc.)

> 65 ft. lbs. Toughest Game (Cape Buffalo, Grizzly, etc.)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts