Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people have ever heard of, or go by, 12 - 15% on arrow weight forward with broadheads? You measure from the nock where the string bottoms out, and from the other end to the insert where the broadhead threads in. Let's say it's a total of 29 inches, you divide that in half which equals 14.5 inches. This is the center point for the arrow. Then with the broadhead on the arrow you take and balance the arrow on your finger. Mark that balance point (I like to use a pencil) and measure from the insert to the balance point. Let's just say that distance is 11.25 inches. Subtract 11.25 inches from 14.5 inches which gives you 3.25 inches. Divide the over-all total which is 29 in this case by 3.25. This gives you 11.20% which doesn't fall in the category of being 12 - 15% for broad heads. So, my question is, has anybody heard of or does anybody go by this standard of broadhead weight forward of 12 - 15% and field points of 7 - 9%? I read this on a site last weekend. Some input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you're talking about f.o.c(front of center) then i have mine at about 14% right now. At least, that's what i think you're talking about.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what I'm talking about. I just couldn't remember the term. So anyone else keeping up with there (f.o.c.) Front Of Center?

·
Registered
358 Posts
those % ranges are merely a guideline to shoot for..

Shoot your broadheads and check arrow flight and groups--if they're flying well, you're good to go at 11.20% foc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
an easier way to balance your arrows..

Another way to find the balance of your arrow which is much easier, is take your 29" arrow times 16 of an inch. which would equals 464, take that times 40 percent,which equals 185.5, now your balance with your broadhead on was 11.25. take that times 16 which equals 180, now divide that by 464which equals .3879% almost .39% which is very good balance, just make sure not to go over 40%, I balance all my arrow around 38 to 39 %,with this kind of arrow balance all my pins on my sight are exactly the same distance apart,and I shoot them sometimes out to 80 yards.the heavy your broadhead or field point the lower your percentage is,say an arrow that is 36 to 37% will fly just as good as arrows say that balance at 38 to 39%,but the lower percentage arrows will drop off sooner because of the heavier weight.and that is why your sight pins will be at different gaps espeically at longer yardage.make sense to me...got that from a book years ago call Balanced BOWHUNTING by Dave Holt,written in 1988 One of the best archery book of the time.Dave Holt also writes for I think bowhunter mag. Let me Know what you think and if that helps you......GOOD SHOOTING...Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts