Archery Talk Forum banner

Arrow weight question - suggestions needed

740 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  5MilesBack
You will see in my signature line what I am shooting currently. The reason I have CX Maxima 350's is because I recently changed limbs from 70# down to 60. It is obvious to me now that I am shooting a rather heavy arrow. I am accurate to 40 yards though and I am getting 250 fps with this. Other than a flatter tragectory and increased speed with a lighter arrow, what am I giving up or gaining with this combination? Are the benefits truly enough to justify the cost of getting new arrows?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7,785 Posts
What is your Dl and arrow legnth! I know shooting 27.5" DL and 60# and a 27" arrow I would need the 250's . Sounds to me like your over spined!

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
It is obvious to me now that I am shooting a rather heavy arrow.
Even if your arrows are 28" and using a 125gr head, I would estimate those arrows at around 400gr......hardly a heavy arrow. Drop to a 100gr head and you're around 375 tops. Again......not very heavy.

· Registered
7,785 Posts
By the way I do understand that the arrow spine has to do with the stiffness of the arrow. But can an arrow be too stiff?
Yep and arrow can be too stiff. You will nedd 250 Maximas if you want to shoot 58# DW

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
With a 100 grain tip my arrows weigh 402 grains.
Are you shooting regular Maximas or the Hunters? If they're regular Maximas, you must have some HEAVY fletches on them to get to 402gr with a 100gr head, or a really long arrow. I have some 350 Hunters that are .7gr/in heavier than the Maximas, and 30.5" long, and they only weigh 420gr with 100gr tips.

If you're shooting the 350 Hunters, then I can see how they could be 402gr.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.