Archery Talk Forum banner

arrow weight vs bow failure

717 Views 16 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  RxBowhunter
reading the thread about the Bowtech blowing up made me think of arrow weight. I know I shoot over 6 gpp. How many of you guys shoot right at 5 gpp or even less? I know theres a lot of speed freaks now a days. Just wanting to get some averages. thx.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
984 Posts
I'm not sure you can get any accurate statistics on this through a small survey, but there is little doubt that light weight arrows can contribute towards limb failure. Another problem is that almost everyone uses a lightweight arrow setup. I wouldn't call 6 or 7 gpp heavy.

The limbs take a lot more stress on each shot because a greater percentage of the energy goes into the limbs instead of the arrow. It's only common sense that there would a decreasing percent of failures as the weight of the arrows goes up.

Just take a look at the large number of old wooden recurves and longbows that have been shot for 60 or 70 years without failure. Typically, these guys are using 10 gpp or more. Granted, there isn't the pre-stress on these, that there is on a modern compound, but then again wooden limbs are nowhere near as strong as good fiberglass or carbon layered limbs. The limbs just don't take the abuse that a lightweight arrow setup does.

· Registered
129 Posts
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but do people really hunt with arrows at 5 grains per inch? I shoot a 9.5 per inch arrow. Or is the difference more in what you are trying to harvest. Like whitetail compared to elk?
Thanks for educating me.

· Registered
560 Posts
I'm shooting a 344 grain arrow, but my arrow is only 25" long. I shoot at 62 lbs and my draw is 26", therefore my gpp is at 5.5 gpp. I try to get my arrow weight down so I can get my fps up but I only gained about 10 fps faster with the gpp at 5, i do not think it's worth the effort to reduce my arrow weight to gain 10 fps more.

· Registered
2,395 Posts
I have shot 5-1 but for me i feel its to light and i loose to much K/E past 20 yards so i stay with a 6-1 ( 60# 360 gr).. from my testing i get good speed and still get good K/E out to 50 yards..Yes my bow my be a little loud but it has never been a issue hunting deer. I have used this setup for 10yrs now and my Z MAX hasn't failed me yet,3 D or hunting, its held up great..JMO

· Registered
1,045 Posts
yep

.....................................................................:boom:
Too light arrows X non stretching string materials =

7 Grain per # here.

· Corripe Cervisiam
27,928 Posts
Always gonna be someone pushing the limit

Years ago knew a guy who blew up 4 or 5 bows actually breaking a couple of the machined risers.

He was complaining about his bad luck and never considered his overdraw and ultralight arrows had something to do with it.

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was just asking cause I have never had a bow problem but I never shoot close to the 5 gpp that manufactures warranty. I think some limbs will split no matter what cause of a defect at the factory but not from any specific company. Machined parts will just have defects sometimes.

· Registered
3,555 Posts
I'm currently at about 6 1/2 gr. per LB of draw. 390 gr. arrow / 58#

I shot a Mathews LX for 3 years set on 60 LB with arrows that were 315-345 gr. without a problem.

I had a Bowtech Allegiance get a limb splinter in 4 months, with similar weight arrows.

My wife pulls 40# and her arrows are 380 gr. = 9.5 gr. per LB.

· Registered
790 Posts
not sure what I shoot but when I went with maximas for my 64# cardiac I told the guy in the store I do not want the lightest arrows,,, then I went with 4" LW Helical fletch which got me some looks and then I went with 125 gr point and got even more looks, from the speed shooters.. But I can shoot any broadhead including the 2" wide fixed treesharks and they will blow right through any thing.

I suffer a bit in the speed dept but i like my set-up its not to sensitive and its very effective.

· Bent Not Broken
3,451 Posts
62# bow, 320gr arrow.
Older bow so I only get 270 with this and my shorter DL. Nice and quiet though. My friend commented that the only thing he hears when I shoot is the FOB in flight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.