Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this discussion has been talked about till it's been beaten to death, but has anyone ever shot different weight arrows through a chronno at distance to see overall speed loss on several different arrow weights? What weight arrows and distance would suffice for this type of testing? Maybe it's the cold weather getting to me but I'm getting some ideas on testing the theories.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I did just that and posted results 2-3days ago on another thread. I shot a 400 grain and a 500 grain arrow(added insert weights) at 0, 20 & 40 yards. Result- the heavy arrow would surpass the lighter arrow at about 50. If you want the real numbers and can't find the earlier post, just PM me.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I usually chrono my arrows at 5ft and 20yds, sometimes 30 yds, to get an accurate drag coefficient. I've done it with target arrows at just over 300 grains and hunting arrows (same shaft) at 350gr and 400gr. From the testing, I switched to narrow diameter arrows for hunting because they carry more energy downrange (more speed) compared to normal diameter arrows. Found that OT2 does a pretty good job of modeling arrow trajectory as long as you enter the bow's actual IBO (usually lower than published specs), so you can "test" various arrows without having to buy them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts