Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a great shot . I Keep my shots at 30 yards and closer . The vast majority are under 20 yards . I have taken my share of deer and bear this way. With all the talk of light arrows vs. heavy ,I like many of you over analize my setup. I am shooting a Switchback at 66 lbs , 29 1/2 inch draw length and am shooting 393 gr arrows with 100 gr broadheads . I rarely do not get a pass thru. I usually have to pull the arrow out of the ground with both hands after it went thru the animal. Since I am shooting close and acheiving good results why go to a heavier arrow? If I was shooting longer distances then I could see it. I see many threads on here about heavier arrows and I am just curious . I am SURE you will give me your thoughts . I have people comment on how quiet my bow is also so heavier arrows would only be of litle help there . I have my bow shooting good with the Carbon Express Maxima 350 arrows . What do you think ? My wife is shooting 54 lbs CX Maxima's 250 at 340 gr. ???

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
393 is not really what I would call a light arrow. Anything 400 grains or up is heavy enough for any animal in north america. I like a little heavier one but mine only come in about 30 grains more and mostly because I prefer a 125 grain head. The extra weight in the front makes for a more stable arrow especially in the wind

·
Registered
804 Posts
dont change a thing, seems to be working fine

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ZYXW , I was thinking about using 125 gr broadheads for the very reason you stated ! Thanks for the replies !!

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
for deer and bear or anything smaller even elk for that matter your arrow weight is more than enough. i wouldnt hesitate to hunt any animal in north america with your setup. i shoot a 350 grain arrow and have never had a problem. shot 3 hogs with my setup and killed em all. never got a pass thru but a big hog has tougher skin than a bull elk.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
18,779 Posts
I think 393 is great from your set up. I was shooting either a 400 or 425 from my XT at 70lbs and got nothing but pass throughs as well. Going to stick with right around 425-430 with my new bow.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I am just whitetail deer hunter myself, with my bow anyways, and I like to come in around 400 grains for my arrow. It seems to be a good medium between a heavy arrow and a light arrow. I don't see any reason to change your arrow at all.

·
Just Do It.....
30,186 Posts
Mine are 390 w/bh.
Plenty fast and plenty K/E.
No way I would shoot a 500 gn arrow at a deer species or black bear.
maybe for:polarbear:, or brown bear.

Flat trajectory is important to me, because I will shoot past 30.:smile:
I get 94# K/E.
And good speed.

So there is no need for me to shoot that heavy an arrow.
Thats my opinion.

marty

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Nothing wrong with your arrow weight.
125 gr. head will increase FOC.
I've never killed a deer past 22 yards, lighter arrows worked fine.
I'm now using 500+ gr. arrows. Why? They DO make the bow quieter and I like having the extra momentum whether it's always needed or not.
The arrows I'm using are FMJ 340 with wrap, 4'' feathers and 125 gr. tip total weight is 510 gr.
The FMJ pulls easier from 3D targets than an all carbon shaft.
I've still got the Victory HV and Maxima 350 arrows, could shoot a 340-365 gr. arrow if I wanted to, but I would give up 18% momentum and the bow would be louder.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Deer are relatively easy to kill and I use 360 grain arrows. I use 405 grains for elk. Your setup is fine as you've noticed.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,332 Posts
Whatever works for you. My hunting arrows are 500gr. I am shooting some 365gr arrows right now for 3D and I must say that I do not like the way the bow feels with them. Big difference between them and the 500gr arrows. I wouldn't even consider hunting with an arrow this light. I'm not saying that everybody should shoot that heavy an arrow, just shoot what's comfortable out of your bow that you know will work. I shoot my 500gr arrows out to 80 yards all the time. No problems with trajectory or performance. In fact, looking at my 7-pin sight, there isn't a whole lot of difference in the pin gaps now than with the 500gr arrows.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
My arrows weigh around 475. I like a heavier arrow. Heavy arrows are more quiet and pack a harder punch.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Mine are 390 w/bh.
Plenty fast and plenty K/E.
No way I would shoot a 500 gn arrow at a deer species or black bear.
maybe for:polarbear:, or brown bear.

Flat trajectory is important to me, because I will shoot past 30.:smile:
I get 94# K/E.
And good speed.

So there is no need for me to shoot that heavy an arrow.
Thats my opinion.
Thats my opinion as well.

Arrow weight is over-rated for whitetail size game. A well placed, SHARP b-head is what matters. I used to shoot heavier shafts but in the last 11 or 12 seasons, I've gone after whitetails with arrows in the 330 to 360 grain range and I've NEVER had any penetration issues.

If I ever pursue "BIG" game then I'd up my arrow weight but for any sized whitetail that could walk the face of the earth..... it just isn't going to be an issue.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sounds like your setup is great for you. I use very heavy arrows with really big, homemade broadheads with big cutting diameters. Heavy arrows silence the bow effectively. Big broadheads bleed the deer out fast to make tracking easy. I am color blind and have to grid search every kill. I like them to go down fast.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Arrow weight is a matter of personal choice for the most part....with bows from the last 10 years its pretty easy to put together a great bow/arrow/broadhead combo....i would think for the way you hunt and holding your shots close you have a really good setup now...if you were going to stretch your yardage then i would look at maybe going a little lighter and shooting a little flater arrow as long as you kept good momemtum....with my 360gr arrow i have had pass throughs at 45yards but i am shooting a little faster than you are..if you know your speed then you can check the spec's that differant combo's can give you..if your getting 275fps with your arrow then your getting 47.6 momemtum where with my setup i am getting 48.0 so there is very little differance and your getting 65# of K/E and i am getting 72# with a 360gr @ 300 fps but both arrows hit with about the same amount of force..there are differant ways to get to the same results...JMO

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have the same bow and weight as you except my draw length is 28''. Im shooting the lightest arrow my bow will shoot im right at 325gns. I have had a pass through out to 40 yards. I like to get more speed out of the bow rather then shooting a heaver arrow. I like to have tighter pin gaps and a straighter trajectory, more room for a little error this way. I by no means am a good shot and 40 yard is all I feel comfortable shooting at. I have been only shooting for a year now, and every little bit helps. My deer I took this year was 38 yard and double lung with a pass through, the arrows don't ding in the ground like yours do but its working for me.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts