Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OOPS ...5 grains per pound I meant,that makes sense the easton chart is telling me about a 280 to 300 grain shaft with 74# 30.5" arrow

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
If you do the math ,then according to the easton chart the arrow should weigh in at 350 grains plus.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5 grains per pound @ 74 lbs= 370 grain arrow for my bow but when I use the easton shaft selector chart it recomends much lower weights.example power flight are 9.5 grains per inch,exel and epic are 10.0 .At even my 31" arrows thats only 310 grains.I dont understand why these are recomended, will theses arrows be hard on my bow?

·
Registered
251 Posts
weight

You need to add the weight of the insert + fletchings + tip + the 310 that the bare shaft weighs. After you add everything together you'll be close to 450 grians give or take a little.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Yes, the 5gn/lb of DW is the recommended minimum safety limit to prevent potential damage to bows. A perspective: Ultimately, as the arrow becomes increasingly lighter, release of the arrow approaches a dry fire situation.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes grains per pound ,dont know why I keep thinkin grains per inch.and thanks all that clears it up for me.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
5 grains per pound @ 74 lbs= 370 grain arrow for my bow but when I use the easton shaft selector chart it recomends much lower weights.example power flight are 9.5 grains per inch,exel and epic are 10.0 .At even my 31" arrows thats only 310 grains.I dont understand why these are recomended, will theses arrows be hard on my bow?
Don't forget the weight of Nocks, fletching, inserts and points. If you've got 310 grain in the shaft:

Shaft -310
Insert- 20
Fletching- 5 grainsx3= 15
Nock- 12
Point- 100

Total arrow weight- 457 grain

well above 5 grain per pound...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts