Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told I need around a 400 spine arrow at 26DL 50-60#. But im curious about the weight I should be shooting for hunting?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I shoot a 56lb. bow at 29.5" draw length and I am shooting 400 spine arrows at 450+ grains without any problems at all. How long are your arrows

·
Registered
51,121 Posts
Your shop is correct 400 spine. You have plenty of "weight" to hunt anything you want. Remember accuracy is everything.
I am 26 to 26 1/2 inch draw depending on the bow, 52#, 400 spine arrow cut to 27". Weight in around 365. Plenty of arrow.

·
Registered
Jim Beam Apple, Mathews, Jim Beam Apple
2,057 Posts
Your shop is correct 400 spine. You have plenty of "weight" to hunt anything you want. Remember accuracy is everything.
I am 26 to 26 1/2 inch draw depending on the bow, 52#, 400 spine arrow cut to 27". Weight in around 365. Plenty of arrow.
Thats a pretty broad statement. He didnt even say how much his arrow weighed. Even if you take yours at 365 (which is what i have shot for years) i personally wouldn't take em in the woods to shoot anything larger than a whitetail.

·
Registered
51,121 Posts
Thats a pretty broad statement. He didnt even say how much his arrow weighed. Even if you take yours at 365 (which is what i have shot for years) i personally wouldn't take em in the woods to shoot anything larger than a whitetail.
???? He is asking about arrow weight how isn't this relevant? I am close to his draw, close to his weight, close to his suggestd arrow and gave him what mine weight is. By the way there is NOTHING in North America I wouldn't have confidence in hunting with that set up. Accuracy is everything.

·
wolfey
4,145 Posts
What broadhead do you want to shoot?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
???? He is asking about arrow weight how isn't this relevant? I am close to his draw, close to his weight, close to his suggestd arrow and gave him what mine weight is. By the way there is NOTHING in North America I wouldn't have confidence in hunting with that set up. Accuracy is everything.
Details, what broadhead do you shoot?
What bow do you shoot?
What bow does the op shoot?
What tip weight does the op shoot?
What tip weight do you shoot?

Nothing in North America ? How many hogs over 100lbs have you shot. If any was it with that 365gr arrow and with what broadhead?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Details, what broadhead do you shoot?
What bow do you shoot?
What bow does the op shoot?
What tip weight does the op shoot?
What tip weight do you shoot?

Nothing in North America ? How many hogs over 100lbs have you shot. If any was it with that 365gr arrow and with what broadhead?
THANK YOU 😁👍

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
How do you figure out kinetic energy with shooting an arrow?
Get the fps with a chronograph. Then get the weight of the arrow in grains.

Then take grains x fps^2/450400. Actual formula looks like m*v^2/450400. This is the imperial method. So say a 400gr arrow at 300fps. 400*300*300/450400=79.93

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
And yes a 365 grain arrow will kill 100# + hogs. 60# and 27” draw length with around 360-380 grain arrows and it kills everything it hits. But I doubt play the man card and take 80 yard shots at a shoulder bone either. That’s the reason for all this mass weight and efoc , taking shots that shouldn’t be taken. If a bow hunter can’t get to at least , and I mean the very least , 40 yards, he has no business using a bow to hunt with. I’ve killed about every animal in the United States you can legally kill and I can’t remember ANY shot I took over 45 yards. Did I let a lot walk , yep, could I have killed more by taking 60-80 yard shots, yep , probably 5x as many. But when I go hunting, my number one goal is to get as close as possible. That’s the exciting part. If you know how to track, stalk. Use the area and wind, you can as close as you want. I’ve been beside trees that was close , when animals kicking dirt I would get hit with hit , and could small their stinking ass. That’s what hunting is. Not sitting in a heated blind and shooting a 100 yard bomb hoping arrow hits somewhere in the vitals. When you get close, there’s not an animal in this country a 350 grain arrow at 50# want put down. I know. I don’t even build arrows that weigh over 400 grains, no point in it. When the millions of animals that’s been killed with a 30-40# stick bow and sharp rock on the end of a stick, and now we need 600 grain arrows with sharp cut on contact heads , with a 350 ibo bow pulling 80# to hunt a 130 pound whitetail, something got wrong with the picture and to much bad worthless information for folks to sound like they are smarter than everyone, while the ones that know better are out killing animals with using equipment and arrows that the “smart” folk are saying want work. Your arrow is fine dude. Go kill and have fun doing it.

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
And yes a 365 grain arrow will kill 100# + hogs. 60# and 27” draw length with around 360-380 grain arrows and it kills everything it hits. But I doubt play the man card and take 80 yard shots at a shoulder bone either. That’s the reason for all this mass weight and efoc , taking shots that shouldn’t be taken. If a bow hunter can’t get to at least , and I mean the very least , 40 yards, he has no business using a bow to hunt with. I’ve killed about every animal in the United States you can legally kill and I can’t remember ANY shot I took over 45 yards. Did I let a lot walk , yep, could I have killed more by taking 60-80 yard shots, yep , probably 5x as many. But when I go hunting, my number one goal is to get as close as possible. That’s the exciting part. If you know how to track, stalk. Use the area and wind, you can as close as you want. I’ve been beside trees that was close , when animals kicking dirt I would get hit with hit , and could small their stinking ass. That’s what hunting is. Not sitting in a heated blind and shooting a 100 yard bomb hoping arrow hits somewhere in the vitals. When you get close, there’s not an animal in this country a 350 grain arrow at 50# want put down. I know. I don’t even build arrows that weigh over 400 grains, no point in it. When the millions of animals that’s been killed with a 30-40# stick bow and sharp rock on the end of a stick, and now we need 600 grain arrows with sharp cut on contact heads , with a 350 ibo bow pulling 80# to hunt a 130 pound whitetail, something got wrong with the picture and to much bad worthless information for folks to sound like they are smarter than everyone, while the ones that know better are out killing animals with using equipment and arrows that the “smart” folk are saying want work. Your arrow is fine dude. Go kill and have fun doing it.
ranch fairy is about the only one I know that states this.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
A 400 spine is gone be correct for your set up but your gone have a hard time getting a heavier arrow with that spine
I would look at going to a 350 spine and adding some point weight and agree I would try and get to 400 gr total arrow finished weight would be good. Stay away from the large mechanical and if you gotta shoot a mech get one of the smaller cut dia or get a good fixed blade and get them sharp and you will good

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Grizzly bear? Bull Moose? Buffalo?
More power to ya, sure I'm sure ya could, I'm just saying i wouldn't do it with a 365grainer.
And just for the record, Dale said ANYTHING could be taken in the first post, and did not limit it to North America. Afterwards north america was brought up.
So there's another list of big game.......
And that was based solely on 52 pounds 400 spine arrows without knowing any other information

·
Archery Addict
9,251 Posts
I kill deer and pigs with less than 400 gr arrows and have for many years, after I switched from aluminum arrows to carbon. I shoot fixed heads and mechanicals without worry. I currently have hunting arrows that weigh between 378 gr (one 65# bow) and arrows that are around 450 gr. for the other 66# bow. If I were to hunt Grizz or Moose, I'd probably go a little heavier with a cut on contact fixed head. Put a 378 gr arrow tipped with a slick trick mag into the vitals of an animal and he'll be just as dead as any other weight setup. Confidence in your setup is what's important.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was told I need around a 400 spine arrow at 26DL 50-60#. But im curious about the weight I should be shooting for hunting?
HOLD THE PRESSES!!! When you asked about "The weight" you "Should be shooting for hunting" did you mean your draw weight or the arrow weight?

Yeah, let's open up a whole NEW can of worms now!!! :mg:

For what it's worth and remember, I am NOT an experienced hunter, I am going to shoot a Gold Tip Hunter XT 400 spine, 26.5 length, 125 grain fixed Magnus Stinger 2 blade at 60 pounds of pull and 26" draw length. My total arrow weight with NOCKturnal lighted nocks is 400 grains.
I have been told it should be more than adequate for almost all North American game as long as my shot placement is good.
I am shooting way more accurate with these arrows than I have with others but that is just me.

·
Registered
51,121 Posts
Exactly, Exactly. If the ethical shot isn't there it is pass time for another day.
Some people just can't handle the honest truth.
From some of these comments I guess traditional archers are uniformed they don't have the right equipment to hunt and haven't been for centuries.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts