Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently started shooting trad with my new longbow from Bill and love it. I also had a dozen cedar arrows made up with fly flawless, no kick, nothing. I recently purchased a dozen of the Gold tip traditionals, cut them to length added 125 up front and fletched some feathers in the back and started shooting. No matter what I do they seem to kick sideways when I shoot. So my question is, is it a weight thing, or is it a spine thing, or both. How heavy are your carbon arrows? My cedars are 505 grains, by carbons are only 350. Do I need to add weight??

Thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
from looking at the charts and your bow 50#@28 it appears that you adjusted draw wieght is only 39#. Which should equate to a 3555 gold tip shaft or the Heritage 150 maybe 250 Carbon Express depending on how long you cut the shafts and if you are getting to 28" or not. You can try sticking some 145 or even 170 grain tips on them and see if that help weaken them up, if it helps then maybe you'll be ok, if not go extreme and get some of the 200-250 grain tips. At least you'll know if your going in the right direction.

I don't know if you bow is center shot or not, but from what I know most LB are not, so you require enough dynamic spine to get around the riser and the lack of spine "may" cause the issues that you are having.

As for wieght, there are lots of ways to make them heavier, I am using the 3Rivers wieght tubes to increase the mass, as I have been told that trad bows are more efficient with heavier arrows to a point, when the arrow becomes too heavy and slows the bow down. I think this has something to do with the speed that the limbs can move, but I am not expert. I personnally was able to get my shafts to within 30 grains of the cedars and fly well.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the reply meesier, this was exactly what I was looking for. I do have some of the 8 gpi weight tubes on order. I am hoping that I can get them to fly as well as my cedars for the durability.

If anyone else has any tips let me know!

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
My 49# homemade long bow likes full length 3555 goldtips with the 125 grain brass inserts and 125 grain points. Total weight is around 515 grains if I remember right. I have a few that I have had to cut an inch or so off of because I hit a brick or something and those shorter ones like the 125 grain brass inserts with 145 grain points. Carbons seem to like alot of weight up front through longbows. Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
I Agree Carbon Arrows Like Weight Up Front. Goldtip 3555's Just Arrived And I Thought 125 Tips Would Be Fine But After Shorting Up A Little At A Time I Get Best Flight From 175's. I Never Thought I'd Put That Heavy A Point On A 46 Lb Recurve But They Fly Great. Downside Is I've Already Busted 3 Arrows At The Nock End Because They Group So Tite. Try A Couple 145's 175 And 200's And Watch What Works Best.
Good Luck
Dc

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I shoot GT trad's from my 45lb recurve.
29" ,100g brass inserts,125g broadheads,total wheight 478g.
I belive it's more a spine/length thing, rather than wheight.
I get just as good flight from the same arrow length but with standard GT inserts and 125g broadheads.
I only added the brass inserts because I wanted more wheight up front for increased penetration.
GB,I think your big mistake was to just cut them to length and expect/hope they would fly like your Cedars.
In my experience, Carbons never fly like woods at the same length.
You should of started at full length bare shaft,an cut them back 1/2 inch at a time with your point wheight of choise until you hit the "slightly weak" point.
From slightly weak bare,the fletching would of bought them back to perfect.
It may sound like a hassle to do it that way,but you only have to do it with one shaft an you only have to do it once.
Cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.