Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys please teach me about arrow wraps. I see some people use them and others don't. Is there a real benefit with using them or are they just a cool factor? Pros and cons?

Thanks...

· Classifieds Administrator
39,607 Posts
It does make refletching easier as you can just peel the wrap and start over.

For hunting, the wrap can be a visual when you make a hit and when you look at the arrow on the color of blood. It can determine where you hit the animal.

Plus there is that coolness factor! :shade:

Musical instrument

· Registered
6,857 Posts
I love arrow wraps I just use plain white wraps. They are great for refleching.

· Registered
501 Posts
Arrow Archery Bow and arrow Compound bow Games
I get my wraps from arrowrap.com Great price very easy to use website and fast shipping. They even have a custom arrow wrap design tool on their websight.

· Registered
30,528 Posts
It does make refletching easier as you can just peel the wrap and start over.

For hunting, the wrap can be a visual when you make a hit and when you look at the arrow on the color of blood. It can determine where you hit the animal.

Plus there is that coolness factor! :shade:

View attachment 1022367 View attachment 1022372
I agree 100%. Refletching aluminum is a breeze because you have to try to damage a shaft. But getting the glue off carbons is a pain and wraps makes it considerably easier. If you cut into the fiber of a carbon, the shaft is compromised and should likely be scrapped. When guys advertise 4+ dozen solid color wraps for $10 in the AT classifieds, it is a no-brainer. If you opt to spend more for fancy ones like Onestringer sells, more power to you. :thumbs_up

· Registered
659 Posts
They look cool. That is about the only use I have ever had for them. They don't help with arrow visibility in flight (unless your bow is not tuned) as you can't see them staring down the shaft from the nock. Brighter colors might help finding your arrow in the ground after the shot, but they don't work near as good as an illuminated nock. Just my $.02.

· Registered
4,284 Posts
Like everybody else said, it makes it easier to refletch arrows since you don't have to scrape off the glue and it adds visibility to the arrow so its easier to find. I like Flo Orange wraps from Onestringer and Orange Blazer vanes. They are very visible and look sweet.

· Alien Mafia Member
3,770 Posts
JMO, but don't like them.
Adds weight to the back of the arrow where I do not want it.
Main gripe is that you have to replace all three fletchs and the wrap if one fletch gets damaged.
I prefer just to replace whichever feather gets damaged.
If you clean the glue off carefully, it comes away with no damage to the carbon shaft.

Kev

· Registered
5,437 Posts
Does anyone have a tutorial on installing wraps? I've never done it but wouldn't mind tryinig some. I shoot VAP's if that's a consideration, they are pretty skinny.

· Registered
3,064 Posts
Can you guys please teach me about arrow wraps. I see some people use them and others don't. Is there a real benefit with using them or are they just a cool factor? Pros and cons?

Thanks...
I have always used wraps on my hunting arrows. They have many good qualities.

Pros:
1. Assist in locating arrow after the shot.
2. Makes any blood on the arrow more visible so it can be assertained how well the shot was. This is especially nice to have if you don't find your arrow until after it gets dark(on shots taken at the end of shooting hours)
3. Makes refletching easier, eliminates the need for massive amounts of scraping, resulting in weaking of the carbon fibers(There is one Con related to this one though)
4. Aid in shifting dynamic spine of the setup in order to correctly match dynamic/static spine(There is also a con associated with this one as well). I mention this one as a previous poster stated he did not want more weight on the back. This is the most often overlook aspect of why you would want to use a wrap.

Cons:
1. Damage to one fletch results in all 3 having to be replaced along with the wrap.
2. On arrows that are already correctly spine matched, can result in a mismatch in dynamic/static spine by installing the wrap. Care needs to be taken to ensure that installing a wrap will not adversely affect your dynamic/static spine match. Archery software programs such as ON Target Software for Archers found at www.pinwheelsoftware.com will assist you in selecting or not selecting a wrap for your setup.
3. Unless an arrow bonnet is used, the bright colors will stand out and will expose any movement to game that can see colors(turkey). They also tend to be reflective and will spotlight any light reflection to the game you are hunting.

Wraps are very easy to install, just need a straight line(I use graph paper for this) to make sure your getting them on straight. If you can roll a pencil, you can wrap an arrow.

good luck.

· Registered
4,736 Posts
Buy a computer mouse pad, lay the wrap sticky side up, line the arrow shaft with the end, and make sure its strait on with the shaft, and roll it forward, pushing evenly. Very easy to do! There are videos on youtube that can help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.