Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered, but I did a search and couldn't find anything. I'm getting ready to fletch my first set of arrows. I see most people recommend using wraps and I understand why, but I need some advice on the wraps. I mostly see instructional videos with the wraps where you actually lay it out and roll the arrow to wrap it. However, on line I'm seeing a lot of heat shrink tube type wraps (specifically for Easton- which is what I shoot). So, does anyone here have any experience or suggestion about one type over the other? Are the tube ones okay to use or should I just stick with the kind that you actually wrap?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Never used the heat shrink ones just the wraps. I just make my own, go to your local sign shop get some scrap pieces of vinyl any colour you like cut into strips & wrap. Much,much cheaper!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
This won't answer your question, and yes, alot of people use wraps, but i'll bet that more people don't use them. Just something to think about. There was a thread a feww weeks back regarding this. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Wraps are a great way to customize the look of your arrows. In the past, I always used wraps on my arrows. They looked awesome, but aren't necessary.
They add expense and time to arrow building. I stopped using them for that reason.
If you're just learning to fletch arrow, I would recommend not using wraps until you learn the fletching process and get good at it.
To answer your question, when using wraps that you roll on, you are able to customize the placement and degree of offset (or helical) of your vanes. Also, you can use whatever type of vanes/feathers that you like.
With the heat-shrink kits, you're limited to the types of vanes, and a set angle. But, you don't have to have a fletching jig or any other supplies to apply them; just a cup of hot water.

Good luck and have fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts