Archery Talk Forum banner

Arrow wraps vs. no Arrow wraps?

90532 Views 44 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  wrobo61
I have recently began fletching my own arrows to save money :cheers:. I use 2" Blazers and have found it fairly easy to become proficient at it.

However, I am seeing arrow wraps and wanted to know if there is there an advantage? Does it make the fletching process easier?

Also, the only difficulty I have found is with excess glue. I apply just enough glue in the valley of the base of the vane but the glue still presses out the sides and by the time I pull away the clamp, the glue has congealed :mad: and hard to trim from the shaft to make for a clean application. When you buy the arrows pre-fletched, they seemed to be wiped clean and uniformed :thumbs_up which is my desired goal. Any ideas or suggestions?
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
4,330 Posts
wraps make the fletching much easier with no need to scrape the shaft of the arrow and worry about cleaning glue of the shaft. plus it makes the arrow look good IMO.

· Alien Mafia Member
3,770 Posts
Still too much glue, if you think you have applied just enough, you have too much:wink:.
It takes a little while but it becomes easier.
Regarding wraps, pro's for most people are they look good, can help you find your arrow in the grass and apparently make refletching easier as they are supposed to be easier to remove than fletching glue.
Cons (and the reasons I don't use them) are that they add a little weight to the back of the arrow so reduce your FOC, and you cannot just replace just one damaged fletch, you have to replace the undamaged ones and the wrap as well:sad:.

Kev

· Back Yard Champion
35,971 Posts
Check the cost of Wraps. You do realize the wraps have to be scraped off to re-fletch?

· Just thwackin' it.
7,463 Posts
The only reason I would use wraps is for visibility... good for outdoor 3D shoots for those of us that can't hit the target well. ;)

But if you shoot indoor shoots, or strickly hunt, they are all for looks IMO. Plus they add some weight to the back of the shaft (that's what she said.)

· Registered
5,756 Posts
If you use wraps or don't use you most likely won't notice any difference in flight path. I shot the same arrows with wraps and without. I couldn't tell the difference. I like to be different so I use custom wraps made by Battle Drum.

· Registered
3,840 Posts
Check the cost of Wraps. You do realize the wraps have to be scraped off to re-fletch?
No need to scrape, a little heat and they peel right off. I like the way thay they look and you can customize them. Wraps with blazers applied with loc-tite super gel and you need pliers to rip those babies off.

· Just thwackin' it.
7,463 Posts
Being said that, it's very LITTLE added weight. You probably can't and/or won't tell until you get 40/50+ yards out IMO.

I use glow-in-the-dark wraps for 3D shoots and just playing around, and I plan on buying some fat line cutters for indoor shoots and I might get some to make them look cool anyways.

To get wraps off: boil some water in a large pot over a stove, stick that end of the arrow in for like 10 seconds, and they peel off in one piece.

· Registered
7,330 Posts
wraps make the fletching much easier with no need to scrape the shaft of the arrow and worry about cleaning glue of the shaft. plus it makes the arrow look good IMO.
x2. I fletched for a while without wraps and got tired of the all the scraping if I had to refletch. Switched to wraps and don't think I'll ever go back to plain shafts. SO much easier.

· I Bleed Orange
1,352 Posts
I went with wraps last year and now am back to no wraps...even after applying heat the wraps were a PITA to remove...plus if one fletch is damaged you have to replace the whole wrap. I can fletch alot faster without the wraps as well. Plus you get weight off the back of the arrow for better foc...different strokes for different folks...

· Registered
30,632 Posts
I shoot Beman MFX arrows and got some factory flecthed arrows on AT a while back that were not to my liking. As others have mentioned, the amount of effort carefully scrapping off the vanes and excess glue is far greater than getting off a wrap. Plus I don't understand the comment about replacing one fletch? If you have fletching coming off, there is an issue with your arrow prep process. If you are damaging them with other arrows, shoot at a 5 spot target or at different aiming points. When I replace one vane or feather, I remove them all and start fresh..........which is far easier with a cap wrap. If you your FOC is so finely tuned or spine is so marginal that 10gr of weight on the back end makes a significant difference, then I guess you have reason to avoid a wrap. :dontknow:

· Lift, Run, Shoot
15,077 Posts
I always use wraps. Love them.

Fletching sticks WAY better, they look great and they increase visibility of your arrows which can be useful not only for finding lost arrows but for getting a good read on the location of a hit on an animal.

And I'd much rather scrape a wrap off an arrow than scrape fletching that has been fused to the carbon (hoping not to damage the arrow in the process).

And the weight is so minimal that your foc will not be affected in any material way.

Yes, they cost a bit more but it is well worth it IMO.

· 120 CARP
1,521 Posts
i like the way they look and are easier to fletch the vanes to. i ordered my last set from battle drum and they look good and dealing with melissa is always awesome!

· Registered
1,825 Posts
I have them on my hunting arrows for 2 reasons.

A) Helps see the color of the blood to know where you hit your game.

B) Helps track the shot because I am now filming my hunts. In low light you can see it fly a whole lot better.

If I wanted higher FOC, I would just go from 100 gr to 125 gr broadhead, but it is working for me now so I am not touching it.

· Registered
4,820 Posts
X2 for the Lock Tight Gel, better for controlling amount applied. I used to use Goat Tuff, great glue, but cost a lot and dried out in bottle easy. I also get battle drum 8" wraps, cut them in two for my blazers.

Good Luck

Ches.

· The Western Triangle
2,231 Posts
Personally I don't use wraps....I just dip them in cresting paint and keep them white...then fletch them. I've had the best success with adhesion of paint/vanes...better than wraps/vanes....

BUT

I like the look of wraps better....some people are making some really cool ones......

· Registered
7,330 Posts
Forgot another reason I put wraps on - I mostly shoot at 70 yds and if I have an oops moment, it's much easier to find a wrapped arrow that's stuck in the leaves somewhere. To get them off, I just run hot water out of the faucet into a glass, drop the arrow in and let it sit a minute. They come right off. I weighed one on a grain scale once, don't remember how many grains but it was pretty inconsequential. Didn't make any flight difference.

· Anti Fanboy
49,903 Posts
I quit using wraps a couple of years ago.
Can't just refletch one fletching with wraps, have to take it all off.

I also like my arrows as light as I can get them on the aft end, higher FOC.

So I now just do this much with wraps.
I've found that its plenty enough to see my arrows and I can refletch just one feather if need be.
They really stick out in the woods.

BTW, the bottom arrow has been complete pass throughs on two deer and stuck out the side of another one.
Partial wraps held up well and I could still see the blood well.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.